SuperAutomatics ---updates?

BIGBEANS

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
We are opening a small commercial operation...What is the best SuperAuto? We will pay a higher wage to retain good employees..The SuperAutos have been out for a while now what is the best machine for us? Ease of operation, cleaning and dependability? Price point $1200.00-$1800.00...or do we need to be spending more?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You might want to move your decimal over one more time. Good supers run as low as $8000 to as high as $30,000 depending on what you are looking for. I sell a Cimbali M2 starting around $10,000 and the M3 Superbar which is bigger machine for around $16,000.

The superautos in the price range you named are for residential use. I haven't checked but they might not have the certifications for commercial usage (CSA or CFA - I forget). Your insurance company might have issues.

We sell the Schaerer Ambiente and have had good results with that. Per CCafe, you'd need to move the decimal over one. One advantage of the Schaefer, is that it is the same machine that Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks use. Getting parts and service would be a lot easier than a less widely used brand.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Those are fighting words, and its total BS. I have no problems getting parts. On top of that Cimbali is just as widely used. That and every Olive Garden in the country has a Cimbali. There are quite a few other coffee houses that carry Cimbali products as well.

I don't come out and put down Schaerer so try not to put down Cimbali. Let's try and keep it positive and give Bigbeans all the information needed to help make a decision! :grin:

BIGBEANS

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
Please.............I want to hear from shop owners who have hands on experience...not cat fighting salespeople..Thanks you,,,,,,

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Ahhh...I say let those two fight it out and when the dust settles, I'll tell you the right SuperAuto to buy...Just kidding :twisted:

What it really boils down to (pun intended)...Is going somewhere and take a look at these machines in action. I don't mean go to someones show room, but instead somewhere on location and ask the owners questions like how does that machine work for them, what made them purchase that machine, and how is the maintenance on them.

Now to ruffle C.C. and J.H.'s feathers...Personally I don't like the Super Automatics. Not because they are not good machines, because through the years some improvements have been made, but because most operators don't know how to clean them properly or train their personnel on how to maintain them properly.

Just my two cents. :roll:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Ahhh my feathers, my FEATHERS! :grin: Now that has got to be the best statement about super auto’s I have heard in a long time. And its true!

I have to agree with you there. Not only that, you can train them but they really don't listen or care. Its a super and all they have to do is press a button. I just installed one 3 weeks ago and got called the very next day on how to clean it.

I think the biggest problem is not so much with the end user as it is with the technician who will setup the machine. For myself, I strive for the very best shot and in doing so it takes about 30 seconds to make one (this includes grinding time.) I have taken many calls about this and have been asked on more then one occasion to make it go faster.

I try to explain first why you want it to take longer so you can make a better shot. But if I feel I am just talking to the wall or if I am told straight up to make it go faster, then I will sacrifice quality for quantity.

bluecoffee

Oct 6, 2004
Visit site
What is your opinion about nuova simonelli premier maxi? is a good machine for a coffee shop? compared with Victoria Arduino, I mean the performance for comercial Coffee Shop.
Thanks for your answer guys!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The premier is a good machine to start out with if you don't have any experience with a coffee shop. It’s a very forgiving machine, but from past experience its just to small for medium traffic flow.

If you’re looking to buy NS equipment I would suggest the NS Aurelia Plus. It is a much better machine and with all the improvements they made to it compared to the premier, makes it a far better machine.

My God's honest opinion, I don't know why the even bother to keep their flagship (Program VIP) around anymore.

The Aurelia has the same boiler and element. But has a group head like a Cimbali so removing the group gasket takes 2 minutes. It also comes with a Smart Wand, which does both Latte's and Caps to temp with no assistance needed. On top of that they are about the same price.

http://www.nuovadistribution.com/images ... 202005.pdf

As for the Victoria Arduino, it looks nice but have never used or seen one.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Super Autos can give you a good coffee.. but ive never had a great coffee...

Coffee is so variable in the cup due to climate change and a whole host of changes.. like bean ageing etc .. that you need that constant care in the preparation that the standardisation of a super auto cant give.

Plus you always get those customers that come in because of what the barista does for their particular taste...

A friend of mine loved my coffee but wanted it extracting ever so slowly in a ristretto.. it would drip out over 30 seconds.Hed only drink it this way/

Im a purist/ traditionalist...

I want to see the barista flush the machine.. take care in the filling of the basket.. his tampering technique etc./

I know im fussy... but i think there are more and more people like me now.Certainly over the last 3 or 4 years.
Your average punter is taking more care on where he goes for coffee , what kind of coffee it is and how its being prepared.

The super autos are great up to a point. Theyre better than someone who is untrained or sloppy... but in my opinion you cant beat a beautifuly prepared espresso made by the hands of a coffee proud barista.

Id hate for that to be taken away from the consumer...

I dont think that can ever happen.

Coffee is about man , nature and machine.

There is a romance with that.