Problem with my Keurig B100 - only getting 1/4 cup water out

Stachel

Feb 10, 2005
USA
Visit site
Hello Coffee mavens,

Have started seeing a problem with my Keurig B100

I totally love that coffee maker and it would be a big crisis to be without it!!

The problem is the water amount highly varies with each cycle.

Sometimes it's 1/4 a cup, sometims it's 1/2 a cup. Only rarely is it getting back to the normal (I think) 2/3'rds a cup.

I just descaled it and still have the problem. I have been using only RO-filtered water on it so I didn't think that could be the problem.

It's making noises I haven't heard it make either.

I've had it for ~ 1.5 years.

Stachel

whfite

Oct 28, 2004
Florida
Visit site
Not enuff water

The B100 has this problem now and then. Call Keurig and they can walk you through some maintenance. If that doesn't work, they'll fix it. Excellent customer service.

Bean Tech

Jun 28, 2006
Orlando,FL
Visit site
You need to descale it with a heat activated descaling agent. Basically a powder that you pour into the brew with water and then turn it on to heat it up. Brew it a couple of times and that should fo the trick. I am a certified tech for keurig and have had to do it twice now on my b50 home model and many of times at the office.

Stachel

Feb 10, 2005
USA
Visit site
Hi Bean Tech,

After I posted that note, My B100 went downhill fast. I called Keurig, and eventally I received a B60 at a slightly discounted rate (my B100 was out of warranty.)

I tried de-scaling with vinegar, and that didn't fix it.

I think I was under the impression that because I was using RO water, I didn't need to de-scale it. Keurig person on the phone told me otherwise.

I just de-scaled my B60 a couple nights ago with 48oz of white vinegar.

Is a de-scaling agent better than white vinegar?

Stachel

Bean Tech

Jun 28, 2006
Orlando,FL
Visit site
Don't know that one, I've always used the scale inhibitor and keurig also recomended only to use the scale inhibitor. It only takes about an hour to clean out the lime build up then all you have to do is rinse rinse and re-rinse becuase the coffee will taste horrible if your don't. Another thing you could do is find out who your local ocs companies are and deal with them. They may buy a broken machine from you then sell you a new one then fix your old one or send it back to keurig. However you look at it, your going to get lime build up and it will stop working sooner or later. Make sure you get food safe descaler, they also sell it in a liquid which I prefer to use on the home model units.

walterr

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
My brewer is 2 years old and was brewing half cups of coffee. In the past just doing a descaling fixed the problem but this time a descaling did not help at all. I did some research on the keurig site which showed rinsing out the water reservoir, especially at the water entry to the coffee maker point. It also showed cleaning out the water entry point on the coffee maker using a cloth. I did both but it did not work again. On close examination of the water entry point on the coffee maker using a flashlight, I notice debris that were white greyish colour just inside the entry port. I used a tooth pick or you could use tweezers to remove the residue which looked like fibres of some sort. Below the residue is a fine plastic mesh which is obviously some sort of filter. The coffee maker has never worked better, I get a full cup each time. I will certainly check this spot again.

Mizuno

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Did you ever turn off the machine while it was brewing? The manual says:

"NOTE: You may get less coffee, tea or hot cocoa in your cup during your next brew. We reccommend that your perform a cleansing brew with water-only after a terminate brew. Then your NEXT brew will be the volume youhave selected."

ellenkarty

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Basically a powder that you pour into the brew with water and then turn it on to heat it up. Brew it a couple of times and that should fo the trick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

lowtech

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
This may sound crazy ... all the same things happened to me. Keurig worked great for about 9 months and began to only make a 1/2 cup of coffee or less. Read all the forums and followed all the ideas ... cleaned it with vinegar/water flush, unplugged it between brewing cycles, etc. and little improvement. Occasionally (maybe 3 times in the 9 months) the grains have come through due to bringing the lid down twice of course .... so wondering if there might be some caught in there somewhere, I took out the inner pop-out filter, turned it upside down and blew on it good and hard. The next cup was full and running with the original 2-4 streams of coffee. My husband and I are each enjoying a full cup now as we speak! Who knows ... no harm in trying! Worked for me....