Compresso 560 conical burr grinder?

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone a lot of experience with good grinders under $100? Is it worth it or is it best to spend over $100? I see the Compresso 560 often compared to the Solis Mistro for less money!

A friend has a $50 Braun burr grinder and it does a nice job as well.

Thanks!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The Infinity Is Awesome!!!

Stay away form the $50 grinders if you're grinding for espresso. They will work great for other types of coffee, but can't grind nearly fine or consistent enough for good espresso. I tried the $50 Cuisinart Supreme Grinder and although it looked good and was built good it didn't grind well enough to keep. The Capresso Infinity is an awesome grinder, regardless of price. The 560 model is encased with tough ABS plastic, but has the same internal parts as the more expensive metal case units. I bought the brushed chrome unit for $140 and absolutely love it. It grinds great, is easy to clean, looks great and is built great and has an outstanding set of replaceable burrs. The only difference in case material is weight and the metal helps cut down on static alot. It offers 16 different settings, but for espresso you need to fine tune the grind and that can be done easily by turning the hopper in whatever direction you need in small increments while it's running. It's truly awesome and is a fantastic buy. You won't be disappointed. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
If you're grinding for drip pretty much any grinder will work OK. If you're grinding for other forms (French Press, vacuum, espresso) you need something that will give you control over consistency and fineness or coarseness. The Maestro grinders are good, but do have a few flaws. Most people mention the weakness of the upper burr carrier. The upper burr rides in a plastic carrier that has weak tabs that hold it in place. As long as it's cleaned often (which should be done anyway) most say it's not a problem. Some apparently don't clean often enough and when they try to disassemble the burrs for cleaning the tabs break easily. The other issue is with oily beans. Most say they clog going into the burrs and also when exiting the chute. I can't say as I don't have one. I will have to applaud the Infinity. It works with any type of beans, is really easy to clean, can be adjusted for any type of coffee grind desired, feeds the beans better than any grinder I've used, grinds with a very slow speed (450 RPM), any parts can be replaced without sending it in for repair and the list goes on. Go to coffeegeek.com and read some of the consumer reviews. That's what I did and I made a good buying decision. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I don't know what you read, but most consumer reviews for the Maestro and not great. Alot of complaints are regarding the weak burr carrier and bean feeding. You need to buy whatever makes you happy, but I don't think the Maestro will do it. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, it was on Coffkid that recommended the Solis over others.

Quick blurb....
"Solis Maestro - probably the best all around grinder on the market right now. Can handle espresso to press pot (coarse) with ease, and look good doing it. About $129 or less."
Although I read a long review somewhere....

anyway..
http://www.coffeekid.com/coffee

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That review is probably several years old. Not to say it isn't a good grinder, but I think there are several in the same price range that are better and more durable. The only difference between the $89 Infinity and the $140 Infinity is the housing. $89 unit is ABS plastic and weighs around 3.1 lbs. The more expensive unit is built around a metal housing, die-cast zinc I think. It weighs around 6 lbs., but more importantly the metal housing seems to eliminate any static that may be present. If you try the Infinity you won't be disappointed. I thought about the Maestro Plus as well as the Infinity, but the Infinity is superior in build quality, lower RPMs for less heat and you can also grind into the portafilter on the Infinity just like what can be done with the Maestro. One last thing, you'll see a ton of reviews on the Maestro grinders compared to the Infinity, but that's because the Maestro is quite a bit older. Later!

e-mail me for more info.
[email protected]

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks!

One last thing..........the 560 has a plastic holder (not sure the name of this part) for the grinds....so this causes issues with static cling? Currently my blade grinder, the low heat Cuisinart Grind Right station is steel and the piece where the grinds sit is stainless steel so the grinds come right out.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
There are 2 being sold by the same company, 1 for around $60 and the other is $20. More than likely the price of the $20 unit will go up alot more. Buying used might be OK, but I'd ask the seller to post pics of the burrs. That's really the most important part of any grinder, providing the motor runs. Later!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
For the Infinity the top burr can be replaced for about $15, but I'm not sure about the bottom burr. It can be removed for cleaning and replacement, unlike some other grinders. If a grinder is used for normal home use (maybe 1-2 lbs. weekly) I see no reason for having to replace the burrs for the life of the grinder. Some people roast their own beans and sometimes get a stone caught in the grinder and that can wreck the burrs, but I buy mine from a local roaster and that part of the equation is eliminated for me. Later!

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
It is hard thinking about buying a burr grinder since I am making incredible coffee with my $30 blade grinder. I made some manual drip this morning and it blew my mind. I cycle ground the coffee for about 30 seconds and manual drip with my melitta and unreal. :)