Gaggia Problem

joe_shmo

Jun 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi all. Bought a new Gaggia Classic a while ago. Life was good at first ... great coffee .... a bit finnicky, but no problem.
Now all my shots come gushing out in about 10 seconds. I've changed grind, volume, tamping pressure, and coffee ..... all with no effect.
Any suggestions! Help!!!!!

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
joe_shmo said:
Hi all. Bought a new Gaggia Classic a while ago. Life was good at first ... great coffee .... a bit finnicky, but no problem.
Now all my shots come gushing out in about 10 seconds. I've changed grind, volume, tamping pressure, and coffee ..... all with no effect.
Any suggestions! Help!!!!!

It's hard to say why your shots are gushing out if you've tried changing all those variables. I guess you changed them one at a time.

It sounds like the water pressure is plowing through your puck. Is the pour blond with not much crema? What do the pucks look like after the shot? How's the seal around the edges of the basket? Do you see holes in the puck or other signs of channelling? What's the shot taste like? What kind of grinder are you using? What are the condition of the burrs? How old is your roast? How's your technique? Is your distribution even throughout the basket, your tamp level and your puck sealed well to the edges of the basket?

Try some different distribution techniqes. The Stockfleth's move is pretty good at ensuring even distribution and even density. The Weiss distribution technique is also getting good reviews as an effective method of ensuring even density. I'd say experiment to find a good method of getting an even extraction. The last thing to look at could be the brew pressure.