Home brewing purchase

leadmann

Jun 11, 2006
Visit site
For many years my wife and I have purchased Braun and Krups coffee makers. Over this period, my pallet has become refined and I desire nothing less than brewed coffee with body, flavor and aroma. Aside from the bean issue (to be addressed later. My interest in home roasting is growing) I am looking for a coffee maker that will provide performance and satisify my pallet.

I've narrowed the search to the Capresso 500 series, Krups Moka Brew and recently the Technivorm Clubline 741, et. al. Are these worth the invenstment? Afterall, a water heating device is just that... isn't it?

Which is constructed better (forum on the Technivorm suggest it is). I don't need bells and whistles, ie. clocks, timers and superfluous controls. What's the take on these, or other recommendations? Are there other European coffee brewers and are they available in the US?

Thanks in advance.

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
Hi leadmann,

I know you're looking for advice on an automatic brewer but have you considered trying a french press or something as inexpensive that gives you complete brew control and comparing the coffee? I used to use a drip and the coffee was o.k. but it wasn't until I started home roasting and properly using a french press that the coffee went from o.k. to exceptional.

I did replace a drip maker with a Bodum e Santos before really getting into coffee and I still use the e-Santos but not as an automatic but more like a manual. It makes excellent coffee as well.

leadmann

Jun 11, 2006
Visit site
Thanks margnomer for the reply.

I have and use a basic Bodum press from time to time. At the moment, it is in use due to the 'loss' of the Braun maker. I do enjoy the flavor from the press and preferred it over the Braun at those times when it was just me drinking.

My wife and I enjoy coffee throughout the day. She is a telecommuter and will brew a pot mid day. I will keep a 0.5 l thermos and mug with me at work. I think it's the convenience of pouring in the water and the ground coffee, then letting the machine do the work.

Lazy, maybe. I do agree that the extra manual work undoubtly yields a better brew. Just, there's something about automation.
Dennis

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
No problem,

I think coffeegeek has a review on the Krups Moka brew. The Technivorm keeps getting recommended as one of the few automatic brewers that trys to get brewing temp, saturation and steeping right. The Bodum e Santos is not bad as vacuum brewer if you switch it on and off manually. As an automatic I find it's hopeless at holding a good steep time.

klv

Dec 6, 2006
SAT, TX
Visit site
Hey Leadman.

I've researching for my new coffee machind and could not believe that got the same conclusions as u did!

What did you buy finaly? How did you decide? Did you see the Capresso ST600?

I'd appreciate if you share your experience.