how often do i use my detergent?

mels

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
i'm currently using puly caff's tablet detergent to clean my business grade espresso machine...

i was wondering if you coffee masters can answer how often i have to use this detergent to prevent my machine from colleting lime/gunk deposits...

obviously i'm guessing it's best to use it everday but i'd like to keep it minimum and yet keep my machine clean...

what say you?

thanks in advance..

ontrees

Jun 9, 2006
Visit site
Detergent

Hi Mels,

Most die-hards would tell you to use it everyday. That is the rule at the shop I just opened.

A lot of people think even the slightest buildup of old oils will badly flavor the espresso.

If you are not an extremely busy shop and if you aren't concerned about being 100% perfect with your espresso then I think you can get by with less. If you are busy, then everyday isn't a bad idea.

Take your screen off the group head every now and then and see how the oils are building up on it, this can be a good indicator for the effectiveness of your cleaning procedure.

Also, make sure you are soaking/cleaning the screens, portafilters and baskets regularly.

Good luck,

mels

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
I just use this machine for cappuccino latte...

so everyday...average is like only 20..

given that, is it necessary to do it everyday without losing taste too much?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
ontrees said:
Hi Mels,

Most die-hards would tell you to use it everyday. That is the rule at the shop I just opened.

A lot of people think even the slightest buildup of old oils will badly flavor the espresso.

If you are not an extremely busy shop and if you aren't concerned about being 100% perfect with your espresso then I think you can get by with less. If you are busy, then everyday isn't a bad idea.

Take your screen off the group head every now and then and see how the oils are building up on it, this can be a good indicator for the effectiveness of your cleaning procedure.

Also, make sure you are soaking/cleaning the screens, portafilters and baskets regularly.

Good luck,

I hear this everyday from customers about the time I tell them they trashed their equipment because they failed to clean it.

Seriously, would you change your car oil ever other oil change. Heck no, because we have been all told that you will decrease your engines life expectancy. Same difference with your espresso machine except your killing $200 worth of parts and labor that come from your bottom line.

The purpose of the tablet is not just to break down coffee oil but more to break down the affects it has a binding agent with the small coffee particles. Eventually your espresso machine will fail from coffee residue backing up in the inside group head or plugging the 3 way solenoid valve making it stick open and leak hot water down the drain or not opening at all.

Never use more then is recommended and sometimes less is even better. The green buildup inside your group head or around the group chamber for super autos is caused by using too much espresso cleaner.

Remember to always clean daily and to make a sacrificial shot to re-season the machine. The shot also helps to lubricate the valve as well. The cleaner has a tendency to dry on the 3-way valves and make them stick.

Casilias

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi, i have a dishwasher bosch. I have only special detergents for bosch dishwasher. I use them twice a week and I think that's enough. I think that the situation with your coffee machine is not very different from mine. Therefore, if you wash with detergent at least once a week, it will always stay clean and you will avoid lime deposits and so on.

Last edited:

Jessicabrown

Oct 11, 2022
USA
Visit site
Hi, i have a dishwasher bosch. I have only special detergents for bosch dishwasher. I use them twice a week and I think that's enough. I think that the situation with your coffee machine is not very different from mine. Therefore, if you wash with detergent at least once a week, it will always stay clean and you will avoid lime deposits and so on.
Hey everyone,

I recently got my hands on a Vitamix blender and I'm absolutely loving it! It's been a game-changer for my smoothie game. However, I'm wondering if it's safe to toss the parts into the dishwasher for a quick and easy clean-up.

I've heard mixed opinions about this, so I thought I'd turn to the community for some insights that is vitamix dishwasher safe?. Have any of you tried putting your Vitamix components in the dishwasher? Did it affect the performance or durability?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
You can install a water softener for your espresso machine for less than $200. Then you don't need to worry about scale buildup anymore even without any detergent.
Two totally different subjects though... commonly mentioned detergent such as PulyCaff, Cafiza, etc. are used to clean coffee oils, etc. from the brew path as well as to soak parts in. If hardness from water is involved then something like citric acid would be used to decrease scale buildup in water pathways. Yes a softener can be quite useful, but not the end all perfect fix for some applications. Hardness alone isn't the only possible enemy lurking in water.