Technivorm KBT 741 vs Bunn BT10-B vs Newco OCS-8 vs ???

I have been trying read through all the posts on a decent drip machine for the home.

I would like coffee that tastes like the coffee you get at coffee shops or restaurants. I would like it to go into a caraffe to avoid burning the coffee.

Lastly, the price should be reasonable ($200 or less).

So far it looks like the Technivorm KBT 741, the Bunn BT10-B and the Newco OCS-8 fit the bill. If anyone else can recommend other models/brands that would be great.

From what I am reading, it seems that the reason that most coffee in gourmet shops or restuarants tastes better is they use industrial grade coffee makers. And it seems they are better because:

Temperature (198F) ?
    Speed (5 or so minutes) ?
    Design of drip (better spray design) ?

I have read that the Technivorm does not have a very good spray pattern and uses a cone instead of a flat bottom cupcake type filter.

I have tried the more expensive Krups, Braun, DeLonghi, etc. and the taste is still "muddy" to me, regardless of the roast, water, etc. I am wondering if it is because of the cone design. I am wondering about this because most of the professionals (Starbucks inlcuded) use a flat-bottom cupcake type of filter, not a cone design.

Thanks for any help or comments, and if you just want to redirect me to another post, that would be great.

Chris

Re: Technivorm KBT 741 vs Bunn BT10-B vs Newco OCS-8 vs ???

Quote Originally Posted by sumocomputers
    I have been trying read through all the posts on a decent drip machine for the home.

I would like coffee that tastes like the coffee you get at coffee shops or restaurants. I would like it to go into a caraffe to avoid burning the coffee.

Lastly, the price should be reasonable ($200 or less).

So far it looks like the Technivorm KBT 741, the Bunn BT10-B and the Newco OCS-8 fit the bill. If anyone else can recommend other models/brands that would be great.

From what I am reading, it seems that the reason that most coffee in gourmet shops or restuarants tastes better is they use industrial grade coffee makers. And it seems they are better because:

Temperature (198F) ?
    Speed (5 or so minutes) ?
    Design of drip (better spray design) ?

I have read that the Technivorm does not have a very good spray pattern and uses a cone instead of a flat bottom cupcake type filter.

I have tried the more expensive Krups, Braun, DeLonghi, etc. and the taste is still "muddy" to me, regardless of the roast, water, etc. I am wondering if it is because of the cone design. I am wondering about this because most of the professionals (Starbucks inlcuded) use a flat-bottom cupcake type of filter, not a cone design.

Thanks for any help or comments, and if you just want to redirect me to another post, that would be great.

Chris

IMO i dont think that the shape of the filter either cone or cupcake makes much difference. I put down most commercial filters using the cupcake design so the can be placed on a counter and filled up more quickly rather than having a stressed barrista trying to hold a cone in one hand and fill it with the other. The time the the water spends in the grinds and temperature probably effect it more. I know the my current drip machine has a comparativly large hole at the bottom of it so it doesnt spend much time in contact with the coffee, My fathers 1970's drip (god rest it soul ) had a tiny hole and tasted so much better.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links