Technivorm KBT 741 vs Bunn BT10-B vs Newco OCS-8 vs ???

sumocomputers

Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
I have been trying read through all the posts on a decent drip machine for the home.

I would like coffee that tastes like the coffee you get at coffee shops or restaurants. I would like it to go into a caraffe to avoid burning the coffee.

Lastly, the price should be reasonable ($200 or less).

So far it looks like the Technivorm KBT 741, the Bunn BT10-B and the Newco OCS-8 fit the bill. If anyone else can recommend other models/brands that would be great.

From what I am reading, it seems that the reason that most coffee in gourmet shops or restuarants tastes better is they use industrial grade coffee makers. And it seems they are better because:

Temperature (198F) ?
Speed (5 or so minutes) ?
Design of drip (better spray design) ?

I have read that the Technivorm does not have a very good spray pattern and uses a cone instead of a flat bottom cupcake type filter.

I have tried the more expensive Krups, Braun, DeLonghi, etc. and the taste is still "muddy" to me, regardless of the roast, water, etc. I am wondering if it is because of the cone design. I am wondering about this because most of the professionals (Starbucks inlcuded) use a flat-bottom cupcake type of filter, not a cone design.

Thanks for any help or comments, and if you just want to redirect me to another post, that would be great.

Chris

richardcohn

Mar 12, 2004
Visit site
sumocomputers said:
I have been trying read through all the posts on a decent drip machine for the home.

I would like coffee that tastes like the coffee you get at coffee shops or restaurants. I would like it to go into a caraffe to avoid burning the coffee.

Lastly, the price should be reasonable ($200 or less).

So far it looks like the Technivorm KBT 741, the Bunn BT10-B and the Newco OCS-8 fit the bill. If anyone else can recommend other models/brands that would be great.

From what I am reading, it seems that the reason that most coffee in gourmet shops or restuarants tastes better is they use industrial grade coffee makers. And it seems they are better because:

Temperature (198F) ?
Speed (5 or so minutes) ?
Design of drip (better spray design) ?

I have read that the Technivorm does not have a very good spray pattern and uses a cone instead of a flat bottom cupcake type filter.

I have tried the more expensive Krups, Braun, DeLonghi, etc. and the taste is still "muddy" to me, regardless of the roast, water, etc. I am wondering if it is because of the cone design. I am wondering about this because most of the professionals (Starbucks inlcuded) use a flat-bottom cupcake type of filter, not a cone design.

Thanks for any help or comments, and if you just want to redirect me to another post, that would be great.

Chris

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
IMO i dont think that the shape of the filter either cone or cupcake makes much difference. I put down most commercial filters using the cupcake design so the can be placed on a counter and filled up more quickly rather than having a stressed barrista trying to hold a cone in one hand and fill it with the other. The time the the water spends in the grinds and temperature probably effect it more. I know the my current drip machine has a comparativly large hole at the bottom of it so it doesnt spend much time in contact with the coffee, My fathers 1970's drip (god rest it soul :( ) had a tiny hole and tasted so much better.