Lmited commercial espresso maker brands for my start up

mascon

Aug 15, 2006
Malaysia
Visit site
Im looking for a decent 2 group espresso maker

In Malaysia, I have managed to find the available brands of espresso makers as below (arranged from most to least expensive)
i)La Marzocco Linea & FB70
ii)N.S Aurealia
iii)N.S Appiah
iv)Grimac Ten
v)La Scala Carmen
vi)La Scala Eroika

I would like to have comments on the durability and quality on the machines.
Thank you.

I would say the primary driver here in Southeast Asia is not generally the type of machine (LaScala, Nuovo Simonelli etc all make good quality commercial 2 groups). The real cncern for you will be to find an agent that will provide the technical assistence you may need to keep the machine performing day after day, month after month. Really who ever can deliver the best service package should be the one you look at first- even if the price is more expensive. I suggest you ask around other cafes using the machines listed. Ask about after sales follow-up, service, training, availability of spare parts, technician knowledge etc. KL has some reasonable cafes, and some reputable suppliers...so you should be fine.

mascon

Aug 15, 2006
Malaysia
Visit site
Thanks Alun.

I have actually tried few machines as mentioned.

a) La Scala eroica seems to pull out good espresso but it is a compact machine which look not presentable enough and supplier said la Scala machines tend to burn the coffee due to unstable temparature. The steam wand is powerful.

b) La Marzocco gave pretty good espresso shot but the price is almost 50-70% more than other machines. It is a very good machine indeed.

c)Grimac Ten is kind of a flop. I'm not sure the supplier did not set the machine well. It just can pull out espersso if the tampering is too tight.

Yet to try both nuova and La Scala carmen. Anybody can share if you are the user of any of the machine above.

:D

mascon

Aug 15, 2006
Malaysia
Visit site
I have manage to find La Cimbali and Wega espresso machines supplier as well.
Any forumers are using these machines. All of them are establish and provide 1 year after sales service.

Can any kind forumers provide me extra information about all the machines I have listed out.

Thank you very much.

I am very familiar with Wega, as it is (like Astoria and San Marino) made by CMA.spa. Many of the components are the same, although the design work is in my opinion abit dated. When a company gives a "one year gurantee" you need to check what this entails...meaning OK its fine they honour the quarantee but no good to you if it means you are without a machine for a week or two!!! Best to make a check on technical support (how long it takes to get to you if telephone/email diagnostics do not work) and stock of loaner machines if a proble is so serious that your machine is out of action for more than a few hours. If your business is coffee, its no good if the company selling you the machine can not deliver on the technical support side.