my k-cup for keurig brewers

meg_wlu

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
I just got a Keurig brewer with the my k-cup attachment. So far from reading posts I have found out that the my k-cup works better with a finer grind of coffee, but I am wondering how much coffee is the best amount to put in. For example, 2 tablespoons? fill it right up? any suggestions would be great, thanks.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Fill to "not quite full" before brewing, since the coffee will expand as it absorbs and retains water during the brew process. If your fill is too much, the grinds will not extract as rich a flavor.
Different roasts work better with different grinds, so test a few different grinds, too.

meg_wlu

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
great thanks for the reply. I bought some whole bean Timothy's coffee yesturday and tried out using a fine grind. First I tried filling the cup to almost full and it made a great cup. then I tried filling it half full and it made a weak cup. Has anyone else noticed that the top needle where the water comes from gets coffee grounds pressured up there? Does the needle ever get clogged because of this? thanks again for any help. Currently drinking van houtte's macademia nut k-cup coffee and its great!

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Meg;
Usually, the clogs will clear when you brew an empty cycle.
The Keurig brewer also makes a fine cup of tea. Peppermint herbal is especially minty. Try 2 teaspoons of loose tea (greeen, black, oolong or herbal) in your 'my k-cup' then adjust to your taste preference. Tea uses a little more tea per cup than you would use by steeping in a pot, but less volume than a cup of coffee. I was pleasantly surprised that the k-cup made such a nice cup of tea so quickly.

meg_wlu

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
oh great cant wait to try making tea!

my next question is about the travel mug size button. what have people's experience been with this option. I've heard that it makes a weaker cup unless you use a dark/bold kind of k-cup. any input would be great, thanks!