XP20004 & steaming issues

Karl022

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
I hope someone here can help:

I have the Krups Espresso / Filter Coffee Machine, Expert Combi XP200040.
I have had this for 3 weeks, I have so far been unable to steam milk correctly for a cappucino.
A member of my family has a cheap espresso machine, so I watched him do it, making sure I was not doing anything wrong. I use fresh cold milk, a cold stainless steel pitch and wait for the light to go out before steaming, however, very little foam is created and instead the milk just boils.
I checked the user guide and it said to make sure the steam nozzle is clean, It is clean.
Yet still the milk just boils.

Is this a problem with the machine or with me?

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Hi Karl;
You probably just need some practice and a few tips on technique. Aaron De Lazzar wrote a nice article reprinted on coffeegeek site;
http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/frothingguide
It is a good introductory frothing by a skilled barista and trainer. It sounds like you are keeping the steam wand submerged in the milk too close to the pitcher bottom. First submerge the wand below the milk surface, then open the steam control valve. Then lower your pitcher to allow the nozzle to almost fully re-appear at the milk surface. Then "surf" the milk with the nozzle tip just below the surface, incorporating air, while the steam pressure swirls the milk around the pitcher - listen for gentle hissing sound versus rough burbling or loud screaming noises. Avoid putting the nozzle tip too close to the bottom or sides of the pitcher. Concentrate on creating small bubbles (micro-foam) versus big airy bubbles which are dry and pop, dissipating quickly. After you have incorporated air into the foam for a few seconds, re-submerge the nozzle to gently and evenly heat all the milk to your shut-off temperature.
Don't be embarrassed to practice. Every espresso machine is a little different and most people I train use several cartons of milk, before getting some confidence in their capability.

Karl022

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I'll buy a few pints of milk, lock the door and get practising then.
Now you mention it though, I do submerge the wand quite deep.

paddles58

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Spare Parts

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could possibly get a water reservoir for the EUROLAB Coffee machine??? :coffeemug: