My thermal carafe has a black build up of burnt coffee inside. How
do I clean it to get ride of the black build up? What product would you
suggest?
Thank you. :-D

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
There are alot of good coffee related products available for this, but I use diluted bleach. I have a 10 cup thermal carafe and I fill it up with hot water and pour 1/2 oz. or so regular household bleach in and let it sit 5-10 mins. Rinse really well and it'll look new again. Later!

DavesLT

Nov 6, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
A faster way is to put a teaspoon of Puly-Caff (espresso machine cleaner) in the pot and add hot water. Be sure and rinse it afterwards with plain hot water.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Automatic dishwasher detergent is effective, safe and rinses clean easily. It is also in-expensive and readily available at any restaurant supply, walmart, or grocery store. Try about a teaspoonful, add hot water, stir or shake to mix, let soak for 20 minutes (or overnight), then rinse clear. If the deposits are extra-thick, you may need to repeat the procedure, but if you follow a regular cleaning procedure then the deposits clean off quickly.

I like cascade gel, because it dissolves quickly for faster cleaning. It is also safer than espresso machine cleaners and de-scalers, because some of them will react poorly with the plastic components that are in some thermal dispensers or the flow valves.

This works great at home and in cafe's. The cafe' should follow this procedure nightly, then in a.m. rinse clear with hot water and the thermal dispenser is warmed up and ready for brewing.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
DavesLT said:
A faster way is to put a teaspoon of Puly-Caff (espresso machine cleaner) in the pot and add hot water. Be sure and rinse it afterwards with plain hot water.

Faster? Dude, it may work as fast, but nothing could work faster than bleach except sulfuric acid. With the diluted bleach I mentioned those stains will be gone literally in seconds. Later!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I have to agree with DaveLT on this one. Espresso cleaner is formulated to break down coffee oils and solids. I've cleaned many containers out using espresso cleaner and it takes very little time at all. Most of the time you can pour it in, dump right back out, and then rinse. Assuming you first mixed up the solution.