Buy By Bunn

stewartlittle

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
I do believe my Bunn is goin back.It aint worth the $70 dollars I payed for it.It makes coffee to fast to get most flavor out of the coffee.Thats what I think.
Im not sayin they aint no good,but I think my cheap Proctor-Silex makes better coffee even though it takes longer.
I can put 3 scoops of coffee in each one,and after it brews,the Bunn pot,well you can almost see through it.It dont taste bitter,but it tastes like weak coffee to me.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
The silex is over-extracting the coffee during a 12 minute brew cycle. The over-extraction makes the brew darker, but also more bitter and more acidic. Some components of the ground coffee are better left behind in the spent grounds than extracted into the cup (if one seeks best taste).
Many residential brewers are designed to over-extract the grounds in response to consumers under-dosing coffee (and grinding too fine for drip brewing) in their attempts to economize. Scrimping on coffee grinds quantity to save a few cents per pot generally yields poorer cup quality. The exception may be for low quality commercial grade coffee that tastes harsh - an under-dosed weaker brew may yield a more palatable cup.
Since you are accustomed to the over-extracted taste, you may not choose to switch. A faster brew cycle (3 to 5 minutes is optimal) will yield a rich cup with cleaner, crisper, taste that is not harsh and over-extracted (unless the grind is too fine) truer to the taste the roaster intended and describes on the package.
The Bunn brewers can make an excellent cup (they usually have higher brew water temperatures). This type of brewer is designed along "old school" and "specialty coffee" concepts, which use higher ratios of ground coffee to water than many American coffee consumers have become accustomed to. The recommended ratio is 2 tablespoons ground coffee per cup. The basket filter design requires a deep enough bed of coffee for proper extraction - usually an inch to 2 inches deep, depending on the brewer.
If you decide to bail on the better quality Bunn brewer, perhaps a cone shaped filter brewer will give you the over-extracted taste you are accustomed to, while giving you a faster brew time. Most cone filter brewers make a better tasting cup if you make half or 2/3 pot size rather than brewing a full pot and really over-extracting the brew. I also find that a regular drip grind yields better results than the "melitta" grind which is too fine.
Best of luck. Please let us know what you are satisfied with after all this.

paulc35

Jan 28, 2007
Wv
Visit site
Bunn

I second a maker with cone filter..My cuisinart and Capresso had that shape and its the one I prefer. I just gave my brand new Bunn to my mother in law.. I had the $150 thermal pot and took it back..alot of people like bunn and I use to be one of them, but the prices have went up and the plastic housing is just getting cheaper..and I don't believe the temperature is at, or near 200 degrees anyway I'm still using my Cuisinart Brew Central until I decide on it replacement..

You need to go better than what you were using..If you want a good pot without alot of money go to smartbargains.com where you can get Cuisinart refurbished for about half the cost of a new one..there is nothing wrong with refurbished..They had my $99 stainless brew central for $49, but only 12 left

YMMV

stewartlittle

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
Well,I took it back,
I thought of gettin a Militta Fast Brew,but can find one unless I order it.
Cuisinart I think will brew a full pot in about 7-8 minutes,so I might look into one of those.
One question though,
In a drip maker,does the higher wattage mean it brews faster and at a hootter temp?
Also thought about gettin a Black&Decker SmartBrew,Anybody know how those are?

paulc35

Jan 28, 2007
Wv
Visit site
New pot

All I can say is I'm a professional coffee drinker,,My machine is going all day..Now that being said there has only been to manufacturers that make machines worthy of their price. Capresso, or Cuisinart..This is my opinion and only mine..Hope this helps
YMMV