la Pavoni Europiccola EPC-8 Lever Problem

Timo

Feb 25, 2007
Oregon coast
Visit site
The lever on our la Pavoni EPC-8 sometimes (and more frequently as time goes on) fails to let water into the group, and the lever, when pressed down, just falls with no resistance and no water. Sometimes it has a little resistance and water in the last half of the press. What might be wrong? And can we fix it ourselves? We''re engineers, but can''t find a non-destructive way to get into the guts of it to see what is going on. We hate to start pulling O-rings out, possibly damaging them, unless we are pretty sure that is what needs to be done. Does anyone out there know the answer?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The nut on the top of the brew group holding the handle in place needs to be removed. You can then push the upper piston down and out of the housing. You may need to get a screw driver to push it all the way out. Inside there are a few o-rings that splay out on the side of the piston.

When they go bad the piston doesn't create enough suction to pull water in to the housing. Nor does it make enough pressure to extract anything properly.

You can buy your parts here,

http://www.1st-line.com/parts/lapavonihome/index.htm

or

http://www.espressoparts.com/category/0 ... nipagetwo/

You can also contact the La Pavoni Service Center closest to you.

THOMAS CARA LTD
517, Pacific Avenue
S.FRANCISCO, CA 94133
(415) 781-0383

EUROPEAN GIFT & HOUSEWARE
514 SOUTH 5TH AVE
MT. VERNON, NY 10550
(914) 664-3448
www.europeangift.com

ladalet

Apr 23, 2007
Spokane WA
Visit site
Hello Timo, I am curious if you ever resolved your issue. I have a new Gaggia Factory (51mm) and a recently rebuilt LaPavoni Europiccola (49mm) that both have the same issue. I do not believe that the seals are the issue since the seals in both cases are new. After I pull the first shot I cannot draw in enough water into the piston chamber to pull a second.

Here is a very good source for parts for your machine. Edward is a great guy and will take great care of you.

Best wishes,
Lance

Timo

Feb 25, 2007
Oregon coast
Visit site
Hello, Lance. We followed Ccafe's suggestion and ordered a set of replacement gaskets and O-rings from Thomas Cara. The machine worked okay after the replacement, but is starting to act up again. Sometimes it pulls in plenty of water and gives good resistance all the way through the pull, but hardly ever as much as I'd like. This is with the grind as fine as our Solis will go and tamped as hard as I can. Sometimes the handle falls unless you hold it up until the coffee starts to drip, and there is very little pressure. Yesterday afternoon we were unable to get the group screwed on even without the filter basket. Today it seems to be okay. It's disappointing and frustrating.

Thanks for the additional lead on parts. Good luck.

dragos_nedelcu

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Another lever problem...

Hello! I also have some issues with a La Pavoni Europiccola that I bought used. I am new to the subject, so I don't know which parts to change or adjust... Maybe you can help me. First, when I make the coffee, I pull the lever up and the water drains instantly through the coffee. Why is it happening? It should stay with the coffee until I press the lever, but it doesn't. How can I fix it?
Second issue is that the machine, after I start is, produces a continuous hissing sound, like pressure is leaking. Is there a valve I should change or tighten?

Thanks a lot,
Dragos

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
When you pull the lever up you are filling the chamber with water. If you leave the lever up indefinitely it will drain the boiler dry. The pressure in the boiler will force water through your grinds. So if you're pouring a shot of espresso without pulling the lever down then I would suggest you tighten down your grind. Make it finer as to slow the water that's pushing its way through your portafilter.

The gasket on the top knob might be bad or the pressure relief valve could be failing too. Fill your Pavoni and pressurize it up. Let it run for a few minutes then shut it off and drain all the steam and water out. Lay it on its side and take off the bottom. You'll see the pressurestat along with a pressure relief valve under there. Look for steam condensation. If you find it you've found your problem.

glasseye

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
greetings - had the same problem and I believe I've fixed it by putting plumbers tape around the water feed pipe where it meets a plastic screw in grommet and then around the tread of the screw in grommet itself. I believe what was happening was the pressure was there but forcing the water out of the chamber through the loose connection. Its a connection that's difficult to get tight as the pipe has to line up with the pressure chamber