Technivorm KBT-741 - Raising Its Height to Allow for Lid

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
A few days ago, I decided that I wanted to play around with adding about 1/2 inch in height to my Technivorm KBT-741 so that I could store the thermal carafe with lid attached in its correct place under the filter basket.

As users of the KBT-741 with the new style thermal carafe know, when the carafe top is screwed into place, the carafe will no longer slide into place under the filter basket. So, when the carafe is stored or slid into place, the lid has to be kept elsewhere. Or, if the lid has been screwed into place, the carafe must be kept off to the side, but it cannot be kept in place under the filter basket with lid attached because of the height of the lid. (A functional design oddity indeed, if you ask me.)

My fix was to choose a nice 6x6-inch square (1/4-inch thick) ceramic tile for the coffee maker to sit on and to get some small vinyl bumpers to raise the tile slightly (and to protect the counter surface from the rough bottom of the tile).

I also used a Dremel tool to cut a groove in the bottom of the tile so that the carafe pad could be anchored into place under the tile just as it is usually anchored in place under the coffee maker. (This part is not absolutely necessary, but being able to keep the pad in place and not have it loose is nice.)

Cost: $2 (for tile and vinyl bumpers).

Here are the photos and explanation of what I did, if anyone's interested.

http://www.ruscelli.com/technivorm_riser.htm

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
Additional Note:

This "retrofit" or "mod" called for no actual modification to the KBT-741 coffeemaker itself, to the carafe, or to the carafe pad. It's basically just building a riser to make the coffee maker stand about a half-inch taller (off the counter), while at the same time allowing the carafe pad to remain at counter level but still anchored under the coffee maker.