need an expensive burr grinder for drip coffee machine

konacoffee

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
I have a cheapie grinder in my closet and I don't like it. It's a blade whirly grinder and I haven't used it in years. I've been buying pre-ground coffee (yeah, yeah, I know....)
I would like to buy whole bean and grind myself but can't afford to pay alot for a grinder.
My coffee machine is a drip machine. My coffee is a kona blend.
Can someone suggest a grinder that will work for me for no more than 50.00??
thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well, for $50 you won't find a great burr grinder. The last great deal I saw was at Costco.com. Do a search for "coffee grinder" and they did have the Solis Scala for $69 with shipping included, which is a rebadged Solis Maestro or Starbucks Barista. It's a nice conical burr grinder that has a nice build quality. If you can spend that much I'd say that's your best bet. Just don't get one of the burr grinders that are usually in the $30-50 range, which use the lowest quality burr plates that actually beat the beans to death. Later!

konacoffee

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
oops...

oops and that title should have read INexpensive NOT expensive :)
I'm pretty happy with my kona blend coffee that I order on line from Hawaii and I get it ground. I know alot of you cringe at that thought but I like the taste.
Tell me.... When drinking fresh ground coffee at it's freshest state, are there more oils in the coffee? IE: more irritating to the stomach?
My stomach doesn't handle coffee well and I can only tolerate 1 cup in the morning. My stomach will start to burn IF I don't eat something pretty soon after.
I'm thinking more oils = more irritating. But I don't know.
Starbucks coffee - YUCK!!!! Major irritation.