Leave ON ot turn OFF

Roglin

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
We are newbies in regards to expresso/cappuccino machines.

We just purchased a Seaco Iincanto Classico.

Should the unit be left on continuosly during the day ?Can I turn it ON in the morning and then OFF after use ? We typically only have coffee in the morning and sometimes at night after supper.
Of course we plan on turning it OFF for extended absences.

Suggestions re the ON/OFF pros and cons would be appreciated.

thanks
Roger & Linda

I am assuming this is a home use machine? For commercial machines most manufacturers recommend you leave the machines on 24 hours a day. This reduces (or at least slows) the calcification process inside thr boiler. It also reduces the wear and tear on the gaskets that join components of the hydraulic system together. Over time the heating (expansion) and cooling (contraction) of the gaskets causes leaking etc. Also electricity usage is actually less running a machine 24 hours, as you remove the daily heat up cycle which uses a lot of power.

However I guess for a home use machine you may wish to check the users instruction book. Many of the upper end SAECO's can ideed run 24 hours a day. Many have a hibernation or power save mode, which can be activated by the user. This means they still stay on but run at a low wattage until called upon for use.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Also electricity usage is actually less running a machine 24 hours, as you remove the daily heat up cycle which uses a lot of power.

Has anyone ever proved that? I would love to tell my customers that but I've never had any definitive proof. I know they make a device called Killawatt that you can plug a US 120V device in to to see the usage. Maybe we should try on 1 group to see!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
CCafe said:
Alun_evans said:
Also electricity usage is actually less running a machine 24 hours, as you remove the daily heat up cycle which uses a lot of power.

Has anyone ever proved that? I would love to tell my customers that but I've never had any definitive proof. I know they make a device called Killawatt that you can plug a US 120V device in to to see the usage. Maybe we should try on 1 group to see!

Well, here's my take! My brother is a state certified electrician and now does CAD electrical blueprints for large companies. He has to determine how much electricity is needed for certain things and then design the system to support it. He has told me on numerous occasions that leaving things on (TVs, lights, HVAC units, etc.) all the time is much more efficient than turning them off/on constantly. Now I don't know if I'd do this with an espresso machine at home because of possible boiler burnout or gasket/seal damage. It may be OK with an automatic, but I still wouldn't do it because of possible wear. As far as efficiency goes, it'd definitely be better to leave it on. Later!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well Mythbusters has already proved you wrong on the lights unless you will be returning to a room within 24 seconds of leaving it, and that room has nothing but 40 watt florescent tubes. Otherwise turn off the light.

As for a commercial espresso machine, I have watched many pressurestats turn off and on. Using a Nuova Simonelli 2 group as an example. I would say the pressurestat clicks on every 3 to 5 minutes and stays on around 45 - 90 seconds.

So if the machine came on every 5 minutes and stayed on for 45 seconds it would come on 12 times hour and run for 9 minutes every hour. So if your shop closed at 6pm and opened at 7am assuming you turn your machine on a 6am for warm up your machine would have turned the element on 108 minutes in a 12 hour period. Thats 1.8 hours it ran in a 12 hour period. It takes most 2 group machines 30 - 40 minutes to come up to operating temperature.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Mythbusters? You actually believe those 2 retards? And they didn't prove me wrong..... Why are you using a commercial machine as an example? This guy/gal asked about a HOME machine, not to be used in a commercial setting. Read before you type. LATER!!!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
I am assuming this is a home use machine? For commercial machines most manufacturers recommend you leave the machines on 24 hours a day. This reduces (or at least slows) the calcification process inside thr boiler. It also reduces the wear and tear on the gaskets that join components of the hydraulic system together. Over time the heating (expansion) and cooling (contraction) of the gaskets causes leaking etc. Also electricity usage is actually less running a machine 24 hours, as you remove the daily heat up cycle which uses a lot of power.

However I guess for a home use machine you may wish to check the users instruction book. Many of the upper end SAECO's can ideed run 24 hours a day. Many have a hibernation or power save mode, which can be activated by the user. This means they still stay on but run at a low wattage until called upon for use.

CCafe said:
Alun_evans said:

Not trying to be ignorant here but if you read who I quoted then you would understand that my question was a based off what Alun_evans said. Which was involving a commercial machine.

As for the 2 retards, they proved it using a Killawatt device and 6 weeks of their time.

cyberdude191

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
i have the same machine. use the timer to tuen on and off the machine if you use it regularly. i dont leave it on all day. i wake up at 7am and have the machine programmed to wake up at 6am.

no wear and tear issues so far. had the machine for close to 6 months.

can you do me a favor?
i have been playing with the hidden menu for a while and want to return the machine to its original settings. can you tell me what your settings are?

to get to the menu make sure you are in standby mode (machine off)

turn the machine off (standby)
then press top left button, bottom left bottom and bottom right button. you should go directly to the hidden menu