Prosumer Espresso Machine - Advice Needed

I''m planning on opening an espresso shop a few years down the road and I want to start learning how to make espressos and latte art. I''m looking for advice on the right machine(s) to get me started in the right direction.

I''m looking for something for home use; I don''t care about the price too much, as long as it''s not ridiculously expensive. What would be a good \"prosumer\" model of espresso machine to choose? In addition, what other pieces of equipment are advisable?

Thanks in advance. I just registered to this forum, but I expect to spend a lot of time here in the future.

Re: Prosumer Espresso Machine - Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I''m planning on opening an espresso shop a few years down the road and I want to start learning how to make espressos and latte art. I''m looking for advice on the right machine(s) to get me started in the right direction.

I''m looking for something for home use; I don''t care about the price too much, as long as it''s not ridiculously expensive. What would be a good "prosumer" model of espresso machine to choose? In addition, what other pieces of equipment are advisable?

Thanks in advance. I just registered to this forum, but I expect to spend a lot of time here in the future.
    What's ridiculously expensive $500, $1000, $2000? Shoot us a price range that way we can help you make a better decision.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Something under $500. Essentially, I'm looking for something for home use, but that would approximate the experience of a professional espresso machine. I've heard of "prosumer" models, but I've never heard of any specific examples of them.

CCafe, now the Kimono has been opened on price..........you have a big challenge to recommend anything to meet his requirements

....and all that's before mentioning the need for a decent grinder.

What's the general price range for prosumer model espresso machines? I'm aware that professional models can be/are in the $1000s of dollars and most home models are only a few hundred, at most. What I'm wondering about are higher-end home models.

Under $500 used to be doable but it looks like prices have gone up on the Rancilio Silvia.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

problem

Here's the problem you will run into. Generaly, assuming price reflects quality, the more expensive the machine the higher and more evenly pressurized it will be. The more erratic and less pressurised the machine is the harder it is to make "perfect" froth, or shots for that matter. Doing latte art requires that silky smooth wet froth.
    Not sure what area you are in but if it is large enough you may want to just search around for a class or just get a barista to teach you at their shop.

A friend of mine just got a la Pavoni Romantica. Its pretty nice for one or two people. I believe he paid ~500.00 for it. Not good if you want to pump out shot after shot but feels good to use and is attractive.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links