Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommend me a coffee maker and grinder!

Okay, I''m looking to buy a new coffee maker and grinder.

Budget is 200 dollars.

I saw this at my local Bed Bath and Beyond... http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 5660&RN=69

What I''m asking, basically, is what you would buy coffee-wise if I gave you 200 dollars.

Combo brewers

Personally, I don''t like the idea of a combo brewer and grinder because inevitably one will wear out before the other. It is better to buy them seperate. You can get a BUNN home brewer and their BCG grinder for around a $100 each online.

Most of the grind-n-brew machines out there use crappy blade choppers for the grinder and they pretty much suck to be honest. Capresso and Krups both make nice drip machines and they offer models that incorporate conical burr grinders. Of course they cost more than what you were asking about, but the results would be night/day.

Regarding longevity, both should last an equal amount of time if proper care is taken. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I think I would seriously check out the Technivorm coffee machines before purchasing a coffee maker. The water temperature is right at 200 degrees F. Of course a good consistant grind will also be required for your brew. There were a few posts on the Technivorm that I would read also. I have no affiliation with Technivorm at this time. But I definitely would not recommend a grind and brew machine for great coffee.

Hi,
    I recently got an Aerobie Aeropress and love it. It is cheap and makes great coffee.

Can''t help you with the grinder. Get a burr grinder that looks rugged.
    Mine is ancient and they don''t make it any more.

Hi ,
    Mr. Coffee burr mill grinder $25.00 to $ 30.00.
    Mr. Coffee 4 cup maker $20.00 to $30.00.
    The Mr. Coffee maker makes 2 real cups of coffee @ 200 degrees and drink the coffee within 20 minutes. After 20 minutes coffee taste like crap.
    Spend the rest of your money on beans.
    Just my opinion!

Mr Coffee??

Hello all! As I embark on this dark bean journey that I've come upon - I'm reaching out for suggestions between:

Capresso 560 Infinity Burr Grinder ($80)
    Breville IKON Conical Burr Grinder ($100)
    Mr. Coffee Burr Mill ($30)

Obviously, the Capresso or Breville are more expensive and better. But is it $70 better?? I'm a new Dad and we're on a single income and I have to decide between Mr. Coffee or my kid's college savings this month.

All joking aside though - is this Mr. Coffee Burr Mill any good for basic home use (perhaps 5-10 cups per week) and for a new coffee lover who's not too particular quite yet? The Capresso seems to be getting better reviews than the Breville. Any advice on which of these three?

djveed,

The Capresso 560 Infinity and Breville IKON are both very good grinders for the price. I personally would go with Capresso (especially given the $20 difference).

Now, should you consider Mr. Coffee? I think that it depends on two things:

• The type of coffee maker you are getting: Some coffee makers are quite tolerant to uneven grind. Chemex coffee maker is probably the best in this respect - you can make a very decent coffee in the Chemex even with a cheap blade grinder. Other coffee makers like Moka pots or French press demand more uniform grind, so I would not go for Mr. Coffee in these cases.

• The sort of coffee beans that you are planning to use: One problem with the cheap burr grinders is that they clog up very easily when you use oily beans. So if you are into dark roasts I would skip Mr. Coffee.

Another thing is that I would have some doubts about the durability of Mr Coffee grinder - the other two are likely to last you much much longer.
    coffeepotato

Going with the Capresso...

Thanks so much coffeepotato. I do prefer a dark roast - so looks like I'll fork out the dough for the Capresso. I use a Breville Cafe Roma for my espresso.

Thanks!

Re: Recommend me a coffee maker and grinder!

Quote Originally Posted by i_baked_cookies

What I''m asking, basically, is what you would buy coffee-wise if I gave you 200 dollars.
    I'd buy exactly what I did buy when I started drinking good coffee. A Capresso Infinity grinder & several different sized Bodum Chambord press pots. You could substitute a large Finum Filter for the press pots if you only drink a couple cups a day & spend the $90 you have left over on good fresh roasted beans/insulated travel mug/ect.

If you want to burn a few calories you could buy a Zassenhaus Knee Mill instead of the Capresso.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links