Grinder? does it matter which one?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That's like asking if there is any real difference in every car made. LOL.... Seriously you have many different types. Manual grinders usually utilize conical burrs and most work well, but do require human power or some people hook cordless drills up to them for more efficiency. Next up is the electric choppers that use a blade that pulverizes the beans leaving chunks and dust. Next up from that are false burr grinders that are high speed motors that use lousy flat burr plates that really do no better than choppers.

Way above that you have true burr grinders. There are 2 types, the conicals and flat sets. Most of the high end grinders out there ($300+) use flat burrs and direct drive motors. Some of the really high end commercial grinders use conicals and some even use both conicals and flat, being a hybrid creation, but you're talking maybe $800+ and that's just not practical. Most of the home grinders most average people use utilize conical burrs and they work well for most applications. Grinders like the Solis Maestro and Capresso Infinity are two great examples of conical burr grinders that will serve most well.

Some of the cheaper grinders use gearboxes and cheaper materials like plastics. They will work well for awhile but may not last for years like the higher end units. Cheaper grinders are usually noisier as well.

Asking us to recommend one is like pulling teeth. Depends on what you will be using it for. If you grind for espresso only you'd really want something with a stepless design that will allow super fine tuning. If you want to use it for a number of extraction methods you'd benefit from a good "all-around" grinder. Later!

IIFAST4U

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I guess I should have added more detail. Until a few weeks ago I did not know there was any difference in grinders at all. I only brew regular coffee for me and my wife. I just bought an airpot automatic brewer. I don't do expresso or anything else. I have been using a standard blade grinder from the local superstore ( we all know who). I did not know if for my use it would make a difference in flavor from a burr or blade grinder, Noise is not an issue but durability is,

So I think a decent grinder like a capresso should suit my needs quite well.

Thanks for your reply

Shawn

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'd say for your needs the Capresso Infinity will serve you well. It has a nice set of conical burrs, is easy to operate, easy to clean, is fairly durable and won't break the bank. There is the ABS version for $90 and the metal bodied version (brushed or polished) for $140. Both are identical except for the housing material.

I know for a fact it will grind from super coarse for press methods to super fine for Turkish and anywhere in between. My only fault with it is that the carousel/chute design will leave a bit of grounds behind, but this isn't an issue unless you're grinding for espresso and need super fresh grounds for every shot. But to be honest, pretty much every grinder available will leave some behind. Later!