Does anyone else roast their own beans?

Drakyn

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
I am new to this forum and glad I found it. I love coffee, have been drinking since I was around 10 or 11 years old. After learning about coffee beans and grinds and their freshness limit I have decided that going to Gloria Jeans or Starbucks and buying their beans just doesn''t cut it anymore. No matter where you buy beans, if they are already roasted, well, they aren''t fresh and the process of turning rancid has already begun or is well into it.

Therefore, I am nearing the point where I am going to purchase my own bean roaster. Out of all the roasters out there that I have reviewed, it seems the I-Roast2 is the best buy for the money and for someone who isn''t running a coffee shop.

I was just curious first if there are any here who roast their own beans, and what machines you use. Second, your best tasting bean you have ever bought and roasted. Third, how you roasted it.

On this subject, I just cannot argue with buying your own \"green\" beans and roasting them yourself. The prices are unbelieveably CHEAP for your top grade coffees. Not only can you purchase these great beans for cheap, but you also roast and grind them immediatelty before brewing. It just does not get any fresher than that !

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
Roast your own

I fell in love with home roasting. You won't believe how great it tastes even if you don't know completely what you are doing. I use a Fresh Roast Plus 8 which is less expensive than the I-Roast and is very easy to use but it does smoke. The best coffee I have roasted to date is 100% Kona at a medium roast. The second best is Costa Rica same roast it is very similar in roasting properties as Kona. I also like howling monkey coffee from Nicaragua at a medium to dark roast. Check out my website.