What commercial espresso machine should I purchase?

pluggedin

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I am just beginning to gather information and hope that you will be kind enough to provide me with some direction. I am planning on opening a coffee shop and would like your recommendation on what brand/model of semi-automatic espresso machine I should purchase for my small business and why you recommend it.

Thanks so much for any information.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
A machine that in your location can be easily serviced, plenty of trained engineers and parts easily and economically available. The various brands are much the same, if you pay similar money. You get what you pay for.

The important consideration is whether the machine you purchase can be kept running within your business, so other factors come into play. It becomes less about brand and more about practicality.

IndianaTim

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I really like ECM machines, and I understand that they manufacture machines for many other brands, making their parts very easy to obtain and making service easier to acquire.

Whatever you do, don''t buy a machine with history. You don''t know what it''s been through, and it could be worthless or cost you more than a new machine in the first two years of service. Something that was new, and the shop closed after 6 months, might be worth a gamble, but I know cases where folks bought used machines and ended up junking them because they were scaled beyond repair from water deposits. A two group machine should be more than adequate. If you are doing so well you need more capacity, a second 2 group machine would be better than a 3 or 4 group.

Rim

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The heck with the Appia go straight to the top and look at NS's only machine worth buying, the Aurelia. http://www.nuovadistribution.com/aurelia.html. The Appia is not a bad machine but if your going to drop money on it you might as well spend the extra $1600 for a more forgiving machine. Don't waste your time on a Premier Maxi.

Rancilio Classe 8 would be another good choice. The classe 6 are nice machines but the 8 pushes through with better looks and a few more features worth having. Epoca's are cheap, very much like a Premier Maxi except it is made from thin gauge aluminum tubing and plastic.

Lastly Cimbali M29 Selectron. Out of the three I have listed it is the most expensive. I would suggest a the 2 group tall. The Turbosteam arm is nice but not needed and will shave a 1K from the price. Also out of the three it is the easiest to work on. M39 is the Caddy of Cimbali's and will make your pocket book ache for a week. I only suggest upgrading to it if your shop is pushing 300+ drinks and you only want one machine on the counter.

ElPugDiablo

pluggedin said:
Hello,

I am just beginning to gather information and hope that you will be kind enough to provide me with some direction. I am planning on opening a coffee shop and would like your recommendation on what brand/model of semi-automatic espresso machine I should purchase for my small business and why you recommend it.

Thanks so much for any information.
If you want a semi-automatic, not an automatic, not a super automatic, then you should also consider La Marzocco.