Espresso Machine Brands

Mike212

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I know this has been asked in the past but I wanted to see if there were any new contenders.

If you own a cafe, which is brand of espresso machine are you using and do you like it?

ElPugDiablo

I just bought a 3 group dalla corte. This machine has separate group head PID temperature control so you can have different temperature setting base on different type of espresso. Plus, if one of the group head is down, the other two are still operational. It also uses smaller 54mm diameter portafilters, reducing channeling. I won't get it until after SCAA.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
I just bought a 3 group dalla corte. This machine has separate group head PID temperature control so you can have different temperature setting base on different type of espresso. Plus, if one of the group head is down, the other two are still operational. It also uses smaller 54mm diameter portafilters, reducing channeling. I won't get it until after SCAA.

I reviewed the Dalla Corte Mini, and really liked the machine, the brew temperature stability i think is unrivalled on their machines, as effectively you have a fully saturated group. I think you could pay so much more and not get a lot more....you have made a good choice of machine! :)

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
54 mm portafilter would not reduce (the likelihood of) channeling. Dosing into a dry portafilter with proper distribution and tamping are what make the difference. Theoretically, because of more surface area in the 58 mm, there can be more maximum channeling than the maximum channeling in the 54 mm... but the size does not reduce the likelihood of channeling occurring.
So the main culprit of channeling: the barista.

As to the other point, it's a cool machine.

I have a Synesso Cyncra 2 group.
It rocks.

The other machines I would pay for:
LaMarzocco GB5 if they fix the crappy buttons
An Idrocompresso or a Mirage Mistral from Kees van der Westen

ElPugDiablo

A properly dosed 58mm portafilter will always perform better than a poorly dosed 54mm portafilter. But assuming equal technique, in theory, 54mm basket's taller puck will offer more water resistance. This is the theory offered by La Spaziale and Dalla Corte. La San Marco also uses less than 58mm fortafilters, so I think they are in the same camp. A just published very well written barista book by Scott Rao also mentioned the same idea. I think it is reasonable. But I won't know for sure until I test the theory on my machine. Since I know how much I channeled on my La Marzocco :oops: , if there is a reduction, maybe they are right.

Anne Pratt's new shop has a Mirage Triplette Classic. It is an awesome machine both to look at and to work on.

But an often over looked question is what grinder would you use for your shop? I have a mix bag of Cimbali DRM, Mazzer Major and NS MDX. I am very found of DRM and Major, MDX, is ok but not terrific.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Grinders?

ElPugDiablo wrote:
But an often over looked question is what grinder would you use for your shop? I have a mix bag of Cimbali DRM, Mazzer Major and NS MDX. I am very found of DRM and Major, MDX, is ok but not terrific.

I've been using Mazzer Super Jolly, Major is better.. but for an upgrade I like the Robur, the Compak 10 WBC version, or the Ditting/Mahlkoenig KES30...Vario model only. I really like the idea of a doserless grinder. The Cimbali is a nice grinder... I like how it sweeps out the dosing chamber.

Still waiting for the LM "Schomer" grinder... That is a beast.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Our company has sold a lot of Cimbali espresso machines but I can't ever remember selling a Cimbali grinder! :)

I've always liked the Mazzer series for simplicity. I've sold a few Azkoyen Capriccio's, there fun to play with and fast. The price really isn't that much more then a Mazzer but I just don't think they make as consistent of a grind as a Mazzer.

gprat1

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Dalla Corte Mini

I''m a big fan of the Dalla Corte Mini. The internal layout is nice on this machine. Though the dual boiler is quite small, once opened it looks very roomy. Don''t ask me how they did that.

All parts are made with exquisite quality. Externally, the machine has a really nice and thick full swivel steam arm. Another nice touch is the gasket for the group. It''s made of a green composite or vinyl material, with the company stating it lasts substantially longer lifetime than the ordinary gasket types.

The controls are very easy to use. The on/off switch is on the left and the temp adjustment and three dosing buttons on the right. There are buttons for one and two cups. Overal, a nice quality machine.