Almost screwed-up my Silvia

Bill Laine

Jan 5, 2008
New Orleans
Visit site
Last night I decided to clean the screen on my 3-week old Silvia. Took it off and was surprised when an extra part fell out. Sort of a washer with a sleeve on it. Wasn't quite sure how it went but put it back with the washer side up, nearest the machine. (Couldn't find the manual, was in a hurry.) Tightened it down - didn't feel quite right.

Got up this morning and warmed the machine up. Ran some water through the screen to see what would happen. Nothing good is what I saw. Took it apart again - aha, the washer must go down, under the screen. But tightening it the wrong way put a dent in the screen around the hole. Fortunately a little ball-peen hammer work made it right. It seems to be working OK but I could have messed it up beyond repair pretty easy.

Tried my first shot of espresso roast from Drake's Coffee. <http://www.drakescoffee.com> it is pretty good. I like the guy's story. He is established in the bicycle business (like me) and got the coffee bug. Now he roasts in the back of the bike shop.

Bill
New Orleans

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
That little washer technical name is the group jetbraker. Some often refer to it as a shower head. Water hits that and is dispersed all over the screen. Without it the water has a tendency to come straight down and out.

A new shower screen isn't that expensive and runs around $3.36. If you need a new one the Rancilio part number is 402-00-005.