How Does Melitta Manual Drip Stand up to Chemex?

manual_drip_brewer

Jun 8, 2008
New England
Visit site
I just got a chemex manual drip coffee maker. I''ve never had such good coffee. I want to bring a manual drip brewer to work, but would rather not spend the money for a chemex if a melitta will do a good job. Anyone out there use am old fashioned Melitta cone manual drip?

PS, Since posting this I went into a thrift shop to look for melitta cone and I found a 6 cup CHEMEX for $3.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coffeepotato

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Melitta can make pretty decent coffee (better than from an automatic drip coffee maker). But Chemex does make better coffee. Part of the reason why Chemex makes such a good coffee is the filter. Most ordinary paper filters absorb a lot of the oils that give the coffee its full flavor. Chemex coffee filters on the other hand are really quite special - they let through most of the goodies from your coffee while catching all the fine coffee dust.

You could try to use the Chemex filters with Melitta. It will probably take you a while to learn to fold the Chemex filters into a shape that would fit Melitta, but I think it's worth a try.