Cleaning coffee machine

pinheadmann

Jan 29, 2008
Brantford, Ontario
Visit site
Hi everyone:

I am a coffee house that uses the Bunn Softheat brew system. I have the 1 1/2 gallon dispensers that you put into the brewer and then move over to a heating stand for maintaining the heat.

I notice that they are getting quite 'stained' on the inside, and figure that I should be cleaning them occasionally. I know that Bunn has a cleaning powder of some sort that my restaurant supply store sells, but it is very expensive. Can you please tell me how you clean these storage units?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ElPugDiablo

You can check out urnex or just google coffee urn cleaner, but I am not sure they are less expensive.

You should clean your brew baskets and dispensers regularly, like every day, so there is never stain build up. If you don't want to use chemical, then good old fashion elbow grease at the end of every night with mild dish detergent should keep them relatively clean.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

If you have a major coffee stain buildup inside your coffee urns, try using the Urnex powder. Urnex has always worked well for me. I even use it when I clean my stainless steel coffee pot at home (but I use 1/3 of the package at a time at home).

It's not expensive, and you can find it at most restaurant supply stores as well as on-line. This web site shows what the Urnex package looks like.
http://www.urnex.com/urn.htm

After you mix the powder with hot water, let it soak inside the urn for a while (10 minutes or so). Use a long handled brush or a new clean sponge to wipe the residue off after you rinse the urn out. You'll be amazed at how clean and shiney the inside will be. I also use a small baby-bottle/nipple brush to clean inside the urn's spout area. Just be sure to rinse everything well with hot water when you're finished.

Regular cleanings will prevent the buildup that you've been seeing inside your coffee urns. Some places use 1/4 cup of baking soda and hot water to clean out their urns every night.

Once you get the stain buildup removed, you may want to try the baking soda method each night. Just be sure to rinse everything out well and make sure you run some hot water through the spout as you're rinsing out the urn.

When you read the Urnex package, you will see that you can use it to clean all sorts of things. It's really good stuff.

Rose