Student on budget needs espresso machine buying advice

LuvMaJava

Jun 2, 2004
Visit site
I am a broke college student shopping for an espresso machine to satisfy my daily caffiene needs. I would like to get the best machine possible for $200 - $300; something that does not sacrifice the art of brewing the perfect espresso. I have been looking at machines by Gaggia because they seem to be the only ones in my price range that offer the commercial size portafilter, specifically the Carezza and the Evolution. I am leaning towards the Evolution but there are little to no customer or professional reviews for it.

Can anyone recommend an espresso machine would soot my interests?
Does anyone have experience with either of these two Gaggia machines?

Next question- How long do you think I could get away with not buying a grinder after I get my espresso machine? I understand Gaggia's are finicky about having the perfect grind but I do not have $150 to spend on a good grinder. Are there any good grinders to speak of for less than $100?

Thanks for the info :grin:

LuvMaJava

donlp37

Feb 15, 2004
Nashville
Visit site
Why don't you try looking at WholeLatteLove.com. They've got a huge selection of everything and even have reviews on the machines you mentioned. I'd definitely go with the Carezza. It got a 5.5 out of 6.0 rating while the evolution only got a 3.0. I'll give myself a shameless little plug here and say that you've got to try the Malabar Gold that they sell. Its under the house blends in the coffee section.

LuvMaJava

Jun 2, 2004
Visit site
I have looked at WholeLatteLove.com and I think your numbers are wrong, the Evolution got a 5.3 out of 6.0, not a 3. However this rating is from just 3 reviews where the Caprezza had 22 reviews. I do not find this adequate for comparing the two.

thanks for the reply.

LuvMaJava