Looking for an espresso machine

SpeckledCrema

Aug 5, 2008
St. Louis M.O.
Visit site
I just joined this website after reading all the great info you guys have, and thought you guys might have some advice.

I am looking for an espresso machine (budget is around $700)
I have worked for a while as a barista at a great coffee shop, so I would like something that can handle itself pretty well. My budget is low because I''m a student

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
SpeckledCrema said:
No, it doesnt. I would prefer to get a good espresso machine, and then either get a manual grinder for now (plan to get a good one later, when i can), or just buy pre-ground...

I'd say look for a used Rancho Silvia with PID. There is a learning curve but its capable of pulling great shots once you get your technique down. They come up on Coffee Geeks & Home Barista regularly or watch the Craig's List ads.

New: http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-RANCILIO- ... .m14.l1318

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
If I may - if you're considering buying a $700 machine and pre-ground coffee to go with that, it sounds a bit mismatched to me. Grinding beans takes the flavor out of them within a day or so of grinding (although some people feel only hours later is too late). Perhaps you should consider a $600 machine and get a $100 grinder to go with that.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
I agree about the preground but there is nothing outside of a good manual (Zassenhaus, ect) that will turn out an acceptable Espresso grind in the $100 price range. For $200 there are some that are ok but $300 & up is a more realistic price range for a good electric Espresso grinder when buying new.

djveed

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I've actually tried smashing beans with a rock. Worked fine, but it's just inconsistent.

I'm quite happy with my Capresso Infinity Burr grinder for $90.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
200 years in the future we'll simply beam up the coffee and while its stored in the pattern buffer the computer will rearrange the structure of the coffee and then remolecularize it all in to the same exact size particulate for optimal brewing the old fashion way. No replicator here!

coffeepotato

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I think that Rancilio Silvia is your best option given the budget you have.

With the manual espresso machines, you could get La Pavoni Europiccola at your budget. But it may not be the best thing to do. The manual machines have much steeper learning curve than the semi autos. They are also more fussy about the grind (you can forget about pre-ground coffee). If this is your first machine, I would go with Silvia.

With regard to the manual grinder my recommendation is either Lodos or Zassenhaus (note that some people complain that the new Zassenhaus grinders are not as good as the older ones - so you may try to get an older one on eBay). If you want an electric burr grinder then Capresso Infinity and Breville Ikon are both OK (I personally would choose Capresso Infinity).