Mobile Espresso Service

mrbrown

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Hello All,

I am needing help. I am starting a mobile espresso service and am having trouble finding a machine that does not weigh close to 100 lbs. I see that there is a pasquini livia 90 that only weighs 37 lbs. Do any of you have any feedback on this machine or suggestions about another that may meet my needs. Thanks in advance.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
If weight is on your mind your either going to have to upgrade the vehicle type or just get out of the idea all together.

A Livia 90 is a high end home machine and in some cases a very low end commercial machine. I've seen a few shops use one as their lead machine but they were only running 20 to 30 customers a day. So the machine was fine for what they used it for.

stefano65

Aug 15, 2004
Elmira OR
Visit site
Some compact 2 groups will be a better choice for the volume that you might be doing ( wish you the best)
such as la spaziale
or elektra
or some other 2 group which are slightly smaller then a full size one

BV

Aug 20, 2008
Houston, TX
Visit site
stefano65 said:
Some compact 2 groups will be a better choice for the volume that you might be doing ( wish you the best)
such as la spaziale
or elektra
or some other 2 group which are slightly smaller then a full size one
I am actually in the same situation building up a mobile truck and considering the same thing. A 2 group is what I'm leaning towards which makes sense to handle the volume.

Which specific models do you recommend? I've also looked at La Marzocco GB5 (2 group), the issue is the power required to run the machine.

gcahal

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Nuova Simonelli makes a unit called the OSCAR it is very light weight and comes in either a plumbed model or a pour over. Works in a house or commercial environment. And is only 110 volt.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The Oscar was Nuova Simonelli's bad attempt at a low end commercial machine and now is marketed more as a high end home machine. You would be better off looking at a 1 group Appia. The Oscar, Livia 90, Rancilio Silvia are all in the same class range. The Silvia is definitely out of the running due to boiler size. The Livia and the Oscar are closer in comparison but neither would cut it in a mobile cart setup because neither machine is meant to steam multiple drinks in a row.

tletourneau

Sep 9, 2008
MN
Visit site
I know a lot of people don't like them but I've had good luck with the Grindmaster Espressimo's. They have a 1 and 2 group machine that are both 110v. I've never had a problem with steam on mine running consecutive drinks back to back. They are a little heavier that some of the machines mentioned but are still under 100lbs. Also there is the Astra's that are 110v but weigh a little more.

Just my .02 :).

kafeietc

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you need to consider a manual gas based machine in order to provide any kind of mobile based service if you can't rely on plugging in and want to avoid the noise of a generator.

Rancilio Class 6 LE has a gas option and is manual so you need no power at all.

Does anyone else know of any other manual/gas options out there for a mobile coffee cart business?