Gaggia Espresso Color Machine

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Ok I'm deciding on getting Gaggia Espresso Color Machine. It's on sale for a great price. I'm always hesitant in buying something expensive because I want to make sure it isn't crap. The reviews I've found look great, giving it 4.5 or 5 stars. What do you guys/girls think based on the features?

The one thing I don't get is it says its max bars is 15 but brews at 8-9. If it brews at 9, what about the other 6 bars? I know 9 bars is ideal. I guess it's just a marketing strategy.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Its a marketing ploy. I would say the vast majority of all espresso machines that have a pump has a built in balanced pressure relief valve. You normally find 2 hoses on home machines. One is for the water intake and the other one drips water back in to the water tank. That hose is connected to the relief valve. As the pump forces water down the line at 15 bar the relief valve allows some of it to bypass and go back to the tank. Normally you'll find the pressure valve right after the water outlet of the pump. This way none of the lines are overpressured and will not burst. A lot of the water lines are rigid plastic that can't handle high pressure. The rest of the water after the bypass should be around 9bar.

carlamoose

Dec 31, 2007
PA, USA
Visit site
Ah ok. Well, Gaggia was nice enough to say its max was 15 bars but brewed at 9. And I decided to buy it. Now to learn how to properly use it because steam machines don't require knowledge in preparing it.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hi CM,

Great choice as the Gaggias are a great line of home machines. Do keep us informed as to how well it works for you. At least you have a good grinder and know fresh beans are important as well. Once more thing... make sure you get a proper tamper for it as the plastic thing that comes with most machines are junk.

Don't know if anybody (moderators don't allow some links) will say anything, but listed is a great site that is Gaggia only and they know their stuff. Later!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/