I would like to upgrade

roasty

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi, new here.

When it comes to coffee, there's a lot that I don't know, but I do know that I like good coffee.

Currently my maker is an Aerobie Aeropress. Kinda neat and convenient, but hand dripping first thing in the morning is a pain. But I've been doing it, since it tastes better than anything from my drip maker.

I've only ever used the Aeropress, and the drip makers, so I'm not too familiar with what's out there and what the pluses and drawbacks are of each design.

For espresso, I don't drink it too much, but I enjoy it on occasion. The Aeropress is good enough, so that's not a big priority.

I also don't want to have to stand over the maker holding a kettle full of hot water while I hand drip.

Flavour would be a main concern.

Cleanup isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as it wont be too much hassle considering I don't have a dishwasher.

The other main factor for me would be cost. I'm willing to invest in a quality maker that I will be happy with for a long time, but I'm still on a bit of a budget.

I only really need to make 1 cup at a time. 2 at most.

Thank you for your suggestions and opinions :)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well first off do you have a decent grinder? If you want good coffee you need fresh beans and the proper grind size, consistency and minimal fines. Regardless of extraction method a decent grinder is important. Most think as long as they do drip, press or whatever a cheap grinder will get them by. ANY coffee will be better with a better grinder. Something like a Capresso Infinity is fantastic for an all-around grinder. Baratza also sells the Maestro line which is another popular choice. Either can be had for $90 or less. Might sound like alot but if taken care of they will last years.

Based on what you like, your budget and what you expect I'd suggest a French Press. Providing you have a supply of fresh beans and a capable grinder a press is perfect. Just don't go the easy route, like a cheap automatic espresso machine or those 1-cup machines like the Tassimo, Keurig, etc. I guess they're OK if all you want is convenience and repeatability but IMO that's all they offer. Later!