Best Burr grinder under $100?

FrankSalsille

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Ive been using a blade grinder for years and I think I'm ready to upgrade to a decent burr grinder. I mainly brew using a Melitta manual drip brewer with paper filters and occasionally I'll brew up a press pot on the weekend, so i don't need really fine espresso type grind, I'm more interested in getting a nice uniform medium to coarse grind without the "fines" that my blade grinder produces. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
First recommendation would be a nice restored hand grinder. Orphan Espresso buys them, restores and then grades them according to what they're best suited for. Decent hand grinders from them for general grinding is roughtly $50~. Next choice would be something like the Capresso Infinity or Baratza Maestro. Later!

FrankSalsille

Apr 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, the hand grinder idea is interesting, but probably not the most convenient at 5am when your rushing to get out the door:) Ill probably go for an electric grinder. I am the only coffee drinker in the house so i only need to grind enough for 2 or 3 cups a day. I do not currently own an espresso maker so i don't need to grind espresso fine, but it wouldn't hurt. I use an inexpensive manual drip brewer during the week and occasionally a french press on weekends, so Im mostly looking for a grinder that will give me a more consistant grind then my 20 year old Bruan whirly grinder. I did a quick search of burr grinders and came up with the following list. Can you guys/girls give me an idea which is the best of these??
thanks alot

Breville BCG450XL $99
Capresso Infinity $89
Capresso 580.01 $49
Bodum Antigua $89
Cuisinart DBM-8 $49
Krups GVX2-12 $59
Baratza Maestro $99
La Pavoni La Moka $49

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Of all the grinders you listed the only 2 I'd recommend would be the Infinity and Maestro, simply because both have a good track record and both utilize a good conical burr set. The cheaper ones ($50 and under) have the pseudo burrs, meaning not really burrs at all, but plates that have knobs that crush the beans.

You might not grind fine enough for espresso now, but the higher end grinders in your list will not only grind espresso fine/consistent but will make a big difference in the cup regardless of the extraction method. You will taste the difference. Less fines, more consistent grind particle size and less heat generated mean much better brew. Later!