Coffee Brewers

G

Hi, I was just wondering if you guys thought it made a difference in the machine or the coffee that is brewed whether or not the filter is a cone shape? I know that's the most popular kind, I just wanted to know if you guys preferred a different shape and why?

wayne

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
filter shapes

Hello
I prefer the cone shape; I think it concentrates the grind making the hot water do a better job extracting flavor..
Who knows?
I heard not using a paper filter is better as paper traps oils essential for flavor. It is easier with paper to clean up though...

jbrains

Jul 11, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Filter shape

I recently purchased a basket-style gold filter and am having trouble with it. (See my other message on the subject.) My next step will likely be to buy a cone-shaped filter and see whether that does a better job.

This is what I get for buying something cheap, I guess. :)

Take care.

Mikeftrevino

Jul 31, 2003
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
I'm no physicist, but I have been making coffee long enough that I always worry about over extraction. With that in mind, I would go for the basket type over the cone type. With a cone you are focusing the pillar of water down to a smaller area thus over extracting that area. That is why porta filter baskets are flat, to keep the amout of extraction as even as possible. Over extraction means a bitter cup.

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Here Here!
I agree with Mike. I like the idea of more surface area.

I like that people are using the fun smilies.... I think I shall have to make more when I get home off of this tour... only 10 more days left! Then watch out, cuz I have nothing to do and a big ol' coffee pot right in my office :-D