decaf vs regular grinders

workinghard

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi everybody. I am just starting to get into an espresso hobby. Unfortunately I picked up a Breville 800 on sale before reviewing it (stinking ebay deals...;) ) At the very least th knox box should holdup well.

They are also shipping me the single wall filters for free, so that should help.

I have ordered a Gaggia MDF which is due tom. and I have been wondering. My wife is pregnant, and I have read on here and other sites that most people have 2 different machines, one for decaf and one for regular.

I imagine that the only real issue with using the same grinder is:

Resetting for each bean (with a stepped machine that shouldnt be a bid deal I think)

And cleaning it out after each use so there isnt cross contamination in terms of bean type and grind.

Is there anything else I need to be concerned of in regards to using 1 grinder for both?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah you might have to make small adjustments to dial each in, but in all honesty if you get high quality water process decaf beans you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in taste if any grounds are left behind. Usually decaf won't give you the boatloads of crema, but taste isn't that different to me.

You can surely make it work or both of you might try a 50/50 mix.... half regular and half decaf and brew everything that way for awhile. Still get as much taste as you expect, with less caffeine. Later!