Trouble making coffee (Manual pour-over drip brewing)

Bart1977

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm working at an organization where coffee machines are not allowed, so I got myself a coffee pot/filter so I can manually pour-over. I'm not a native speaker, so explaining is a bit difficult -- here's a pic:

Coffee

I put about 6 full teaspoons in the filter, then pour about two cups of boiled water in the filter. It works, but I have the following problems:
  • The coffee is not strong at all, to the point where you can almost see through it. When I pour boiled water on the coffee in the filter, it will very quickly flow into the pot. How can I make the coffee more tasty?[/*:m:2c8nabr7]
  • I have to use almost twice the amount of ground coffee compared to my automatic drip machine. How come?[/*:m:2c8nabr7]
Thanks!

ElPugDiablo

If you are pouring 2 cups of water all at once, try to to pour half a cup at a time, do this 4 times. Each time pour slowly so coffee grind are completely soak. If the water is going through the coffee bed very fast, you might want to switch to a locally roasted fresh coffee. Also you might want to consider getting the Clever Coffee Dripper. There are tips on the site on how to work it.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.single_cup.php

Bart1977

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Each time pour slowly so coffee grind are completely soak. [...] might want to consider getting the Clever Coffee Dripper

Great tips, thanks! Will try this tomorrow.

coffeepotato

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I would definitely suggest a finer grind. You may also try a different filter. If you can use Chemex filter it should make quite a difference.