Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    coffeeloverlisa

Re: Coffee taste better with tap water instead of bottled water.

While certainly no water expert, I have been interested in this subject since becoming a coffee retailer. I want my customers to drink great coffee at home and I have no control over their water.

When I travel and brush my teeth in the hotel bathroom, sometimes the water tastes weird to me. Not necessarily bad, just weird. So this might affect the coffee if I used it to make coffee. I cannot assume my customers go to the expense or trouble to use bottled or filtered water to make coffee at home. Lowest common denominator theory is a safe bet, no?

But after the water is boiled to 180-212 degrees, probably average 190 in a home coffee maker, 200 in my Technivorm Mochamaster, most germs are gone and add your very strong coffee flavor. So unless you are a cupper, super maven of coffee or have two tongues, I challenge you to lose business over bottled or tap water.

Cheers,

Lisa

The thing is with water your going to run into all kinds of little issues whether it comes from the tap or from a bottled source. Now just saying boiling water and all the problems have disappeared isn't going to cut it.

I can guarantee you that you will have a different cup of coffee from 3 different brewers using 3 different sources of water if you were to test straight tap water, bottled water, and filtered tap water.

This is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of drinking coffee at home as a lot of it has been made from just straight tap water. Some times it will come from a Brita pitcher but even that doesn't do as nice of a job as my water filtration in my shop.

The thing that we all need to focus on here is how to educate the end user to make the best possible cup. Whether or not the end user is the coffee shop owner all the way to you making a cup at home. The point we should be making is if you are going to use a particular source of water you must know the qualities that water is coming from. From there we can decide what possible treatments if any are needed to make the best possible cup.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

coffeeloverlisa

Quote Originally Posted by CCafe
    This is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of drinking coffee at home as a lot of it has been made from just straight tap water. Some times it will come from a Brita pitcher but even that doesn't do as nice of a job as my water filtration in my shop.
    A very interesting statement and the backbone of my blog today- http://rocketfuelcoffee.com/blog/wha...bean-retailer/ - with absolutely no disrespect intended I assure you. Water filtration systems in a commercial environment should do a great job for the capital invested and for what coffee retailers charge (sometimes 10-20x mark-up), that is part of the customer benefit.

As for not a fan of drinking coffee at home, I have never heard, even once, a coffee retailer state that one. As an online retailer, that is where 100% of my product goes, so I am on the other side. And I do not have any control over what water process is used for my beans. I do know that no matter what water hits my coffee, day or night, it will taste superior to other coffee because it is fresh and of magnificent quality.

I am in the coffee business, not the water business.

Cheers,

Lisa

No disrespect to you Lisa (and I don't say that to many people ), but if you don't pay any attention to the water you're using to brew your coffee then you're probably not maximizing that superior quality/freshness provided by your highly sought after RocketFuel. Chlorine, PH balance, hardness, etc. make a rather large impact on how coffee is brewed/extracted and to what degree equipment needs to be maintained. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

coffeeloverlisa

Excellent point and perhaps Toronto water is just so wonderful I have never found it to be an issue, or I am still stuck on the lowest common denominator.

I do not debate the benefit of water quality. Since the drink is 98% water, it is certainly important. My point is that to criticize customers for their water or to assume what source they use is not a great marketing choice. I want folks to buy my coffee. They can use any kind of machine or water they want, and it will be incredible. When I sell online, I am not really selling a water story as a benefit.

Yesterday I was at my local cigar shoppe and the sales lady also sells water purification systems from Korea as a part time side business. She could barely explain how it worked and it was $1200. I could make monthly payments or buy one at $600. Or there was a $400 model. So depending on how much money I had, my water quality would improve. No thanks.

All I am saying is that by the time we boil the water, filter our complex coffee, eat a cookie with it, or in my case, maybe smoke a Cuban cigar with it, maybe we cannot taste that much of a difference if we are just a lay person. And a latte or capp? Now we are even further away.

But thanks for a great debate!!!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeloverlisa
    Yesterday I was at my local cigar shoppe and the sales lady also sells water purification systems from Korea as a part time side business. She could barely explain how it worked and it was $1200. I could make monthly payments or buy one at $600. Or there was a $400 model. So depending on how much money I had, my water quality would improve. No thanks.
    I hope she's at least using it on the humidifier system. Heaven forbid you use tap water with all those wonderful cigars!!!
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

coffeeloverlisa

Nope... I see her go to the tap every time. And the fancy water system is sitting under a piano at the front of the shop. They have not bought it yet.

And then the owner comes and goes on and on about the bottled water.

Had another thought. What about the fluoride and germs that are in your mouth when you walk in the shop? And bad breath, garlic and cigarettes? When I competed in the Canadian Cupping Championships, I went without smoking and garlic or strong flavors for three days before cupping. Or the chocolate croissant and carrot muffin you are eating with your coffee? Does this not affect your coffee taste?

They guys also said that putting milk or sugar in your coffee was bad form. Screw that. I like milk and sugar in mine. They are like coffee dictators.

A recent business ordered 12 pounds *GROUND* to give out for Christmas. *GASP*
    Cheers!

Lisa, I say drink your coffee the way YOU like it. I'm a purist and like all coffees black, but do toss in a pack of raw sugar or a bit of orange blossom honey into my doubles when I want to accent the flavor of the coffee with something else. I just happen to like those 2 sweeteners more than any other. I do tell our customers they may not need as much sugar or half-n-half as they're used to using because our coffees don't have the harshness/off tastes they may be used to with what they normally choose to drink. BUT I never tell them it's wrong to add something to coffee. To each their own. I have a husband/wife that want nearly 1 oz. of sugar per drink they get from us. They just love everything they drink really sweet and at this point I don't open packets, but rather sit the cup on the scale and let the pouring from the bulk sugar dispenser begin.

I recently ordered (BIG GASP) preground, flavored coffee to sell to our customers. Went the preground route because there is no way I would put flavored beans in any of our grinders. Not that I'm going to make a habit of it, but Christmasy flavored coffee can be a big hit around the holidays, as can be our other treat, Davinci Dark Chocolate covered coffee beans. Later!
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

coffeeloverlisa

At the Food & Wine Show, we give out dark chocolate coffee beans in a little gold packets to customers who buy our coffee. They go nuts. And it keeps us awake. YUM.

I do not debate the benefit of water quality. Since the drink is 98% water, it is certainly important. My point is that to criticize customers for their water or to assume what source they use is not a great marketing choice. I want folks to buy my coffee. They can use any kind of machine or water they want, and it will be incredible. When I sell online, I am not really selling a water story as a benefit.

Try this... buy some pool test strips, the type that indicate 5-6 things in your water such as chlorine, PH, alkalinity, hardness and test your tap water to see what it's showing.

And yes 30gpg of hardness is quite high, but if the softener is properly SIZED for the task at hand, regenerating properly and high quality salt is used there should be no noticeable hint of sodium. Furthermore I wouldn't want perfectly soft water hitting 0 gpg simply because a bit adds to taste/texture of the water IMO. And of course 1-2gpg won't cause any noticeable buildup of scale in most situations.

Finding great water for coffee can be tough. The most common things used are the filter pitchers/faucet mounted type that really only mildly filter, leading to better taste, but not performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links