Help in find Automated Coffee/Espresso Machine in my Budget

MikiSunshine

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for an automatic machine that will make espresso and regular coffee and that is also automated so I can setup a timer before going to sleep and an auto shut off after a couple of hours after brewing so the coffee doesn't burn. Of course, a frothing tip is desired as well. I'd like to keep the price below $100 if I can.

I've looked at the DeLonghi BCO120T Combination Coffee/Espresso Machine but it didn't get a very appealing reviews. On the Pro side, it does have an auto shut off.

The Mr. Coffee ECM21 4-Shot Espresso Machine and 8-Cup Coffeemaker Combo, Black has a great price and seems to cover all the things I need, with surprisingly good reviews as well but no automation, no timer, no auto shut off.

I'd appreciate advice on knowing if there are any other similar models out there without my having to go over the $100 budget. I really like the idea of my house-mate being able to have his morning coffee and me being able to grab a cappuccino with some lovely espresso grounds on my way out the door.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
good luck. I have an Royal Professional auto espresso machine. I think it retailed around $2500. I would never that much for this machine. It is very temperamental but must say it does make a descent shot of espresso. Pressure is o.k. for frothing milk though I don't drink milk. IT does not have a timer but does have an auto shut off. As to making regular coffee what are you looking for? Do you want a machine that makes espresso but also has a drip maker as well? Or just a long drawn out espresso? I can say that I have never seen a machine that you can set a timer and it will make you an espresso or capp automatically. That would be cool though :wink: Good luck on your search and keep us posted on what you find.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
As topher said... good luck. To find all those features in something that will make great coffee is pretty much non-existent. I advise you to stay away from the combo machines. I did have a Capresso BAR351 as my first true pump espresso machine, which was part drip and part espresso. It did work great for what it was, but I soon outgrew it and went to bigger things. The drip side was automated, but the espresso side had to be operated manually, meaning no ON/OFF timer. But it did heat rapidly and could be ready for use in maybe 5 mins. from a cold start.

My suggestion is to buy a decent semi-automatic machine, a proper burr grinder, fresh beans (of course) and put the machine on a timer. Just make sure you have a full reservoir each night as well as making sure no switches are left on. Some have learned this the hard way by leaving the steam switch on, then the machine kicks on to warm up and overheats due to being in steam mode.

This setup will allow you to make espresso as well as a drip alternative, the Americano. Later!

MikiSunshine

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, for myself, I usually only have one cup these days whereas I used to have a lot more. Fresh ground, of course, in a little one-cup dripper. Love it. But my housemate has more pedantic tastes. His coffee maker broke yesterday. Actually it was the free one I got years ago from Gevalia and not a bad little machine for making a nice pot of coffee. But I would love to have a cappuccino once in awhile which is why I was thinking of going with one of the combo machines. He can have his Chock-ful-of-Nuts <shudder> pot and I could get a quick shot of espresso without cluttering up the counter.

I was just hoping someone here might know of a decent combo machine like the Mr. Coffee, which does have some great reviews, but automatic like the DeLonghi, which does have some terrible reviews. <sigh> I suppose I'll either go with the Mr. Coffee and forego the automation or let him get another Gevalia coffee maker for free and forego the espresso.