Cuisinart Grind & Brew 10-Cup - Carafe sucks- suggestions?

MoneyAddyct

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, just yesterday I purchased a Cuisinart Grind & Brew Thermal 10-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, model DGB-650BC. I really love the machine, but the thermal carafe is just awful. You basically have to turn the carafe completely upside down for the coffee to pour and even then there is still always a small amount of coffee left in the carafe that simply won't pour no matter what you do. My questions are: Does anyone know if Cuisinart has a different type of 10-cup carafe that is better designed? If not, does anyone know of a way to modify this carafe to make it more pour-friendly? And last--if not, is there a substitute carafe that I could use from a different manufacturer that would fit with this maker? THANKS!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

I think they designed the top of the carafe so it will keep the coffee hot and not allow air in.

I really like how the carafe keeps the coffee hot until I'm ready to drink it. It took me a while to get used to having to tip the carafe horizontally in order to pour out the coffee. (I use both hands now) If you keep taking the top off when you pour the coffee, it will cool down too fast. I only take the top off when I want to get the last bit of coffee out of the carafe, and then I have to aim it right or I'll spill the coffee all over the counter top.

Rose

C

coffeeloverlisa

We have a similar model, but not the grind and brew. Just the brewer. The carafe is nice looking and does keep the coffee hot. We also have a Krups brewer and don't feel bad, it has the same problem.

In order for the pot to sit under the basket, it appears the shape must have the closed area under the spout, and that is where the trouble starts. Drives me nuts. Transfer the delicious brew to a serving coffee pot and your troubles are over, but then whoever has to do the dishes will give you the evil eye 8)

Recently we bought the most wonderful coffee maker: Moccamaster Techni Vorm. And lo and behold the carafe is wonderful too, down to the last drop.

Cheers,

Lisa

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I am jealous Lisa!! Moccamaster Techni Vorm is so baaaad assss!!! I had a Techni Vorm and loved it...some one stole it at my last roastery :x Well worth the hefty price tag!

C

coffeeloverlisa

Only one solution my friend. Get YOUR bad ass up here for coffee every morning.

MoneyAddyct

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Now, to get back on topic ;-)

I find that the carafe really doesn't keep my coffee warm for much longer than about half an hour or so. My question is: If I power the machine on will that keep my coffee warm or will that just prompt my machine to (erroneously) try to start brewing more coffee? I guess I should've bought a model with a warming plate.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again,

Do you set the machine's timer at night so it brews coffee in the morning? The problem with doing it that way is that the hot coffee goes directly into a cold metal carafe, and it doesn''t keep the coffee hot for long.

I stopped doing it that way. Instead, I start to set it up the night before by measuring the cold water and putting it into the machine and then filling the carafe with hot water so it stays warm for the next day. Then in the morning, I put the beans in the grinder, and dump out the hot water from the carafe, and then make the coffee. I find that if the carafe is warm before the coffee goes into it, it will keep the coffee hot for a few hours.(or until I drink it all).

Or...you can just fill the carafe with hot water in the morning to take the chill out of it before you make the coffee. I prefer to do it the night before.

Rose