Mystery Filter with Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine

Coldfinger

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
We just bought a Gaggia Classic espresso machine. It came with 3 filters or pods. Two were easily recognizable as a 1-cup and 2-cup “standard” pod. The thirds one is still a mystery to us. There is neither description nor mention of it in de manual. It is the size of a 2-cup pod. Instead of the many holes at the bottom it only has one pinhole. I am attaching a picture of the standard 2-cup pod and the mystery one. Any help in identifying it and explaining its purpose and proper use would be a big help. Gaggia has never responded to my inquiries.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Looks like a blind filter for back flushing. You say there is a pinhole in it though? Maybe its just the picture but I see no hole.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I'd venture to say if there is just one tiny hole in it then its still a blind filter, its just gone bad. There's only one reason I know of that requires you to drill a hole in a blind filter and I can tell you that filter isn't it.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
First off those "pods" are actually called baskets by most. Have even heard them called "portafilters" since it does act as a filter even though that is the commonly used name for the handle the basket pops into.

I'd venture to say that odd looking basket is either a machining error or a POD specific basket. Never heard of companies such as Gaggia, Rancilio, etc. offering blind baskets for backflushing for that type of "home machine" because they warn against it. Common thought is any machine with a properly functioning 3-way solenoid can be backflushed, and it should be done to keep everything clear/clean, but some companies worry about it being done incorrectly and that can lead to issues such as warranty claims, skin burns, etc. Later!