Home Roasters...which one can you recommend?

WobblyWilly

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
The coffee industry in my neck of the woods is virginal, with not a single appliance store selling any coffee roasters. In fact, I've never even seen one in a speciality store...

Bearing that in mind, perhaps you can recommend / warn me about a machine you know...

Thanks!

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
If you could supply more details as to your needs.. Home or commercial use? Amount of coffee used weekly? What do you expect to learn? How much effort do you wan to put into roasting? How picky would you like to be (how much control would you like)? Do you have a BBQ? Method of brewing? Etc.?
Roasters can be as basic as a cast iron frying pan and a wooden spoon to the $920 Hottop, and well beyond into the many-thousands of dollars.

WobblyWilly

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Aha!

Righto, then:

I don't consume much personally, so I guess about 1kg per week. The reason I am toying with this idea of roasting my own is this: I have moved along the chain, past French Press, Cafe Au Lait, Cappuccino, Espresso, espresso machine (Ascaso Dream), Grinder (Ascaso I2) and am now at the point where am mentally ready to take the next logical step. The Roaster!

I also intend to develop the mind-set of home roasting to an eager but sadly ignorant public, and sell off any extra beans I roast. Friends, our coffee club, local markets etc. Now bear in mind that I live in South Africa, so the market is much smaller than tiny but hey (!) who cares?! Someone has to take the first step, right?

Right now, I know nothing at all about roasting, but I can type, and I do have an internet connection, so that has already started to change, just with your response, Randy - your questions have put a lot into perspective for me.

I do have a gas BBQ as well as a Weber, so could certainly use those for myself if you show me how, but I think if things go the way I plan, I'll need a larger system.

Thanks so much for giving me the time to put my thoughts in order! :coffee:

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
If you are thinking about selling roasted coffee in any amount worth doing then the home roaster are probalby not an option. The largest one does about a pound, and for someone who wants to get he best from their coffee I do not recommend it as it is not made for commercial (heavy duty) use nor does it offer good control over the profile.

The next step is to look into one of the BBQ drum conversions. The learning curve there is a bit steep because it is all up to you how it will roast, but cost:capacity, that is the best deal.

After that, a gas powered, small commercial roaster is probably the best bet.
COFFEE-TECH ENGINEERING | Coffee, Coffee Roaster, Coffee Roasters, Coffee Roasting Equipment
Toper - Master of Coffee Grinding and Roasting
CoffeeRoastersClub.com Hand Made In The U.S.A. Coffee Roaster Drums, Roasting Equipment, and Machines - CoffeeRoastersClub.com Hand Made In The U.S.A. Coffee Roasters (member here. They [he?] sell drums of various sizes for BBQ)