Need new Thermal Carafe Drip Coffee Maker: What do you use ?

CynKrzy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Krups, Braun, Cuisinart, I've read reviews on Amazon till I'm cross-eyed. All I want is one that makes a decent cup of relatively hot coffee in a carafe that doesn't por as much on the counter as it does in my cup ?

What are y'all using, and would you recommend it ?

Thanks, this shouldn't have to be so hard!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello,

A few years ago, my son bought me a Cuisinart Grind and Brew DGB-600BC coffee maker with a thermal carafe. Since it was a gift, I gave it a try, and I'm very happy with the results. I can either grind whole beans or brew pre-ground coffee in it. I don't use the timer feature, because I like to put hot water in the carafe first to pre-heat it, and then brew the coffee in it. The coffee is piping hot and it stays hot in the carafe for a few hours or until it's all gone.

Since then, Cuisinart has made newer models, but after doing some research, I still prefer the DGB600 best. Besides that, if you shop around you will see that the price has gone down on that model. A few months ago, I bought a brand new one (to keep as a spare) for $69. Places like JC Penney, Macy's, etc. have this model on sale on a regular basis.

The only problem that you may have with this type of coffee maker is the loud noise it makes as it's grinding. If you don't use the grind feature, there is no problem. Also, as with most grind and brew coffee makers, you need to clean all of the parts daily. I have no problem with that, since I'm so used to cleaning coffee machines, etc. when I work in the cafe.

The carafe has a lid that is self sealing. It produces a slow, steady pour. It may take a few tries to get used to the feel of it, but you'd have to be significantly uncoordinated to routinely pour it on the counter instead of the cup! Many of the people who review this coffee maker at Amazon are probably used to the Mr. Coffee types of carafes, where the coffee basically dumps out into their cups.

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Rose

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
Best carafe drip machine? Go Japanese

For as long as I've been involved in specialty coffee, even I "drank the Kool-Aid" on this one! :coffee1:Knowing enough coffee science, in theory, three years ago I purchased the Capresso TM500. The Capresso and Technivorm brands are $160-$200 machines that most coffeegeeks know to brew at "proper temperature." (at the "geek end", each type of coffee has it's own optimal temperature, but in general, drip brewing at 200F is accepted as best general temp.)

The Capresso's "big deal?" As alluded to above, most coffee makers are lucky to present water temperatures as high as 185 F when they reach the filter basket. The Technivorm and Capresso brand purports to maintain a supply of 200 F water to the basket. So for coffeegeeks, that's a big deal, and narrows the field quickly. But as with all coffee brewing, "The chain is only as strong as the weakest link!"

So yes, three years ago I opted for the "highly recommended" Capresso MT500. It was more stylish than the Technivorm, and boasted a thermal carafe. How could I go wrong? Problem was, and is, the Capresso just doesn't produce truly hot coffee in the carafe on its' own. Herein lies the "weak link issue." We found we had to, and still do, pre-heat the carafe with either hot tap water or boiled water if available on the stove. So where's the convenience in that? While I can't speak to the Technivorm, I was told by Capresso that "best high temp results" are achieved when you make a full carafe of coffee. I guess it gives the machine a chance to pass enough water through its' innards to achieve that 200 F mark? Second weak link? The Capresso carafe has a screw on lid that's rediculously hard to manage. You either over-tighten or under-tighten. It's not well engineered. And it's a "dribble cup" joke. It doesn't pour evenly; it dribbles rather than pours accurately.

I firmly believe you have to use each machine to really know if it's right for you. But obviously we can't easily do that.... unless you have allot of friends who collectively own a huge variety of these drip carafe machines!?? (not likely, right?) So I went looking at reviews and posts in all the forums, and just recently came to the conclusion that the latest Zojirushi drip machine may be the answer! I read a review from a fellow coffee person who used a Middle Eastern single origin coffee as his test grind. He confirmed a properly extracted brew off this machine. And to add to that, I know Zojirushi more directly from not only the many small appliances they manufacture world wide, but from meeting the sales rep's at trade shows I've done. It's a well respected company.

So...... I say check out the Zojirushi Drip Machine w/Carafe! You'll find the latest model on Amazon.com at just under $70. I also saw from the many reviews that it's available from Costco.... or maybe, was available?

Last edited:

CynKrzy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I guess it's gonna come down to trial an error as the second reply suggests. It is nice to hear that you're happy with your Quisinart. And I looked at the Zorisushi as well, but the number of complaints about build quality were discouraging. I can't use a Grinder, I'm up really early and my neighbors would probably form a lynch mob!

I am gonna try a cuisinart first (only cuz the ZoriSush is so tall). I'll post reviews in a few weeks!

CynKrzy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting the Zorisushi from amazon and I'm happy I did. I've only made a couple of pots
But it's hot, tastes good and all the coffee stays where it should :) The carafe kept
It hot for a good couple of hours. Pleased. Now we'll see how it holds up

alsterling

Aug 11, 2006
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
I ended up getting the Zorisushi from amazon and I'm happy I did. I've only made a couple of pots, but it's hot, tastes good and all the coffee stays where it should :) The carafe kept It hot for a good couple of hours. Pleased. Now we'll see how it holds up

Canyon.... thanks for your input. Since I posted to this thread, I've offered my younger daughter and son in law our Capresso. I'm ready to order the Zorisushi from Amazon and take my chances. However, and as I noted, the Amazon reviews average 4 of 5, which is pretty good. The bad reviews were, in my opinion, anomolies and not, in my opinion, representative of chronic issues.

JavitaCoffee

Banned
May 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a great question. My Cuisinart brew Central worked great until it completley died on me. I would like to buy the same machine again but worry about how quickly it might stop working. I really, really really, loved my Cuisinart- it was a gift, and it looked great on the kitchen counter- maybe a little big. But still awesome.