newbie question Re: coffee grinder

clintonbill

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I like to know on your thoughts on a delonghi KG79 grinder to be used on a rancilio silvia v3. Will the grinder work well with the silvia?

Thank you in advance.

Clint

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
No and DeLonghi has never made/offered a really good burr grinder. Minimum flat burr grinder you'd want would be the Rancilio Rocky or one of the conical burr grinders like those offered by LeLit, Ascaso, etc. I'm not a believer that the grinder is the most important part of the equation as fresh coffee trumps everything, but good grind quality/adjustability is a must for good espresso.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Another no on the DeLonghi from me.
Rocky is OK, but when asked, I highly recommend looking above Rocky. If you have any thought at all that you might upgrade to a better espresso machine any time in the future, get a grinder capable of stepless adjustment. The Rocky can be modified with teflon tape to be virtually stepless, but being kind, IMO, I would call Rocky an entry-level espresso grinder.

The Rocky will give you one setting that works well with most espresso you make, maybe two. Each "click" is about 4 to 5 seconds of extraction time.

Consider the Baratza Vario. Watch their website for refurbs (they have a full warranty like new), and Baratza has excellent customer service although I question at least one of their choices for service centers.

Remember that the grinder is MORE important then the espresso machine. The espresso machine is an accessory to the grinder. Yes, really.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Go to ebay and just pickup a used Super Jolly. You won't ever regret your decision and you get the best of both worlds. A stepless grinder and its built like a tank for the commercial world.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Go to ebay and just pickup a used Super Jolly..
If you can get one with return privileges or warranty, there is no better grinder for the price these sell for used. Simple design that works great. There is a reason they are in a large majority of coffee shops all over the world.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
You don't need either. There are only 3 major problems with a Super Jolly found on Ebay.

1 Bad timer/on off switch
2 Bad Condenser
3 Worn out burrs

This is only if it even has a problem. Once in a blue moon you'll find a grinder with a bad motor. The thing is Mazzers really are built like a tank so most of the problems that you'll find are cheap and easy to fix. Of the 3 major issues the most expensive of them is replacing a timer switch. If you can remember to shut if off I suggest just replacing with a simple on/off switch.