coffee temperature problem

coffeemilio

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I own a Delonghi citiz nespresso machine, and the main reason why I'm not satisfied is that the coffee simply isn't hot enough. I tried heating the cup or letting water run in the machine beforehand, but I never managed to get the temperature of the coffee even close to what you would expect in a bar or at home with a percolator. I would like some advice regarding a new coffee maker (a "bean to cup" machine): the choice is between a delonghi superautomatic of the ecam series (which I am reluctant to buy because of past experiences with delonghi, but is the cheaper alternative) or a Saeco Syntia. Of course, the main criterion is the temperature of the coffee. I hope someone can help me out! Thank you

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Machines like you mention use thermoblock heating systems and they rarely ever get to a decent brewing temperature/pressure, leaving lower temperature brown water that leaves alot to be desired. I will ask how long you are letting the machine heat up before using it. I don't care what owner manuals state, a matter of minutes isn't enough for ANY machine to heat up properly. The more metal the longer it takes.

coffeemilio

May 1, 2011
Visit site
thank you for your reply. If I let the machine heat up for the minimum required I get a coffee I can sip as though it were water, as soon as it comes out. I tried letting the machine heat up for a longer period of time, heating the cup and letting water flow in the machine, but the results only slightly improved. I have come across automatic machines that do make a hot cup of coffee, but I have no certain info regarding the models that are on the market now, so I wanted to make sure before I go out and spend hundreds of euros, and I'd prefer to buy for the delonghi which is cheaper, has very similar tech specs and a nicer design. If you have a simple, better alternative to automatic machines I would be very interested. Another thing: what is a thermoblock heating system?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
A thermoblock is basically a maze of passages with an imbedded heating coil that flash heats the water as it passes through. See image below...

Alu%20thermoblock%20inside.jpg

derrickstone

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
why your espresso machine is not hot enough

Coffee machines pour energy into water to heat it. That energy will also heat the cup as the coffee is dispensed, taking heat away from the water/milk. With espresso machines, there isn't much water to carry energy into the cup, and your beverage can drop ten degrees or more.

Try making your espresso into a paper cup - paper will take little or no heat. The thicker the mug you are using, the more you will need to pre-heat it to keep your drink hot. For thin glass cups, run the machine without coffee once first. Heavy stoneware mugs you may need to run the machine three times to get the mug up to 150-160 degrees, and your drink will be a perfect temperature.

I own a Delonghi citiz nespresso machine, and the main reason why I'm not satisfied is that the coffee simply isn't hot enough. I tried heating the cup or letting water run in the machine beforehand, but I never managed to get the temperature of the coffee even close to what you would expect in a bar or at home with a percolator. I would like some advice regarding a new coffee maker (a "bean to cup" machine): the choice is between a delonghi superautomatic of the ecam series (which I am reluctant to buy because of past experiences with delonghi, but is the cheaper alternative) or a Saeco Syntia. Of course, the main criterion is the temperature of the coffee. I hope someone can help me out! Thank you