New to the business.

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for the best commercial espresso machine that is the most competitively priced machine that will produce the best cup of espresso out there, which one is it in your opinion? Where would you tell a beginner in the coffee business to start with for the best gourmet cup of espresso a beginner should be able to produce? And are there any Quality Energy Saving/Green Espresso machines that still put out a quality cup?

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
First priority is budget. A very close second is who will be maintaining and repairing it. Third is the volume of use the machine will get.
Most all commercial machines from known companies will produce excellent coffee if fed high quality beans, properly roasted, which are fresh, and freshly ground in a quality grinder.

To a beginner in the coffee business I would say, get a job in a coffee shop and stick it out for 6 months. The job should be at a real coffee shop with real coffee machines. That immediately rules out Starbucks and other ventures that use super automatic machines. If you are striving for the highest quality espresso possible you will need training. There is far more than grind, dose, tamp, push a button involved. For example. If the espresso is not quite right, is it the grind? Dose? Distribution? Water temperature? How do you tell?

Four to ten ounces of milk, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce will cover a multitude of sins in an espresso, but for exceptional cappuccino and latte it takes knowledge and experience.

If you are serious it would have been great to have you attend the SCAA exhibition in Houston as there were a multitude of training opportunities available.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I'm looking for the best commercial espresso machine that is the most competitively priced machine that will produce the best cup of espresso out there, which one is it in your opinion? Where would you tell a beginner in the coffee business to start with for the best gourmet cup of espresso a beginner should be able to produce? And are there any Quality Energy Saving/Green Espresso machines that still put out a quality cup?

For home use I have a heavily modified 4 group lever machine requiring 8,000 watts and is supplied power by 1,500 sq ft of solar panels being monitored by 2 hired monkeys. If that isn't GREEN I don't know what is...

SpencermKing

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
First priority is budget. A very close second is who will be maintaining and repairing it. Third is the volume of use the machine will get.
Most all commercial machines from known companies will produce excellent coffee if fed high quality beans, properly roasted, which are fresh, and freshly ground in a quality grinder.

To a beginner in the coffee business I would say, get a job in a coffee shop and stick it out for 6 months. The job should be at a real coffee shop with real coffee machines. That immediately rules out Starbucks and other ventures that use super automatic machines. If you are striving for the highest quality espresso possible you will need training. There is far more than grind, dose, tamp, push a button involved. For example. If the espresso is not quite right, is it the grind? Dose? Distribution? Water temperature? How do you tell?

Four to ten ounces of milk, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce will cover a multitude of sins in an espresso, but for exceptional cappuccino and latte it takes knowledge and experience.

If you are serious it would have been great to have you attend the SCAA exhibition in Houston as there were a multitude of training opportunities available.

Thank You for your Advice. I actually stay in Houston and wanted to attend, but was unable too. Do you think it would be a good idea to order the book from The American Barista and Coffee School book? I believe it costs around $200.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
There are barista school swhich you can attend and I think that would be my second choise. Being able to make good espresso and drinks is only part of the job. There is the business side as well, but having the ability to deal with the morning rush is something that only experience will teach. That is why getting a job at a coffee shop is valuable experience.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Lame. Just Saying.

Lame? Lame is asking what is the best machine out there that will produce the best cup and save as much energy as possible in the process. There is no BEST machine or grinder out there. Provided you have access to decent equipment that is somewhat dialed in, fresh coffee and skill is what trumps all else. No machine can tell when to stop an extraction or when grind is off by a bit, etc. Nothing beats a trained eye/tastebuds.

I can tell you from experience the NS Aurelia is a fantastic commercial machine. IMO it's the only HX machine that does it right and can easily keep up with all the dual boiler hype in the industry.