Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Would hand grinding interest you? A GOOD hand mill can equal electric grinders costing $500+ if you don't mind a bit of work involved. Not to mention hand mills can be adjusted on the fly with virtually no grounds retention.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Actually I looked into some hand grinders as I just thought it would be cool to hand grind your own beans but read people saying the grinds weren't as fine as machines.... ?

Not as fine? Depends on the person using it, the build quality/tolerances of the mill, grind setting, etc. Some are better for espresso range than others no doubt. Before Orphan Espresso got heavily involved in making their own hand mill they did a great job of refurbing older hand mills, then rating/pricing them based on build quality, grind range, etc. Now they have alot of "non-refurbished" mills at good prices.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I use the Kyocera hand grinder for espresso, bought it from Orphan two years ago, still going strong. Excellent grinder. For drip and french press, I use the capresso infinity, it does the job well enough for those.

Hand grinding is fun, if you're only doing one espresso at a time. If you have to grind for family and guests, it becomes a chore, quickly. But 99% of the time, I'm just grinding for myself, takes about 2 minutes to grind 15 grams. I also like that the little container that it grinds into fits perfectly into the portafilter basket. Also, there is no waste, 15 grams in, 15 grams out.

Rather than make a suggestion re: which grinder to purchase (I use a roller of my own design and manufacture), I will say the when I reduce the particles (what you call grind) for my siphon pot, I don't grind that coarse.
    Maybe one step coarser that I would use for pour over.
    Try it yourself.

I don't have $200 for a Baratza grinder, so I bought a Bodum Bistro instead. Prett good, I think, so far. But I'm still tweaking the brew times. I only make French press coffee.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links