Home Grinder Suggestion for Espresso, French Press, and Vacuum Pots

Jay_Raz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a conical burr grinder. One that will be suitable for espresso, french press, an vacuum pots.

I'm considering the Breville Smart Grinder $199

the Smart Grinder

I would appreciate some opinions on this machine and some other suggestions for grinders within the same price range +/-

Thank You,

Jay Raz

Jay_Raz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I've watched some videos and read some more reviews on the Breville. My question is regarding this machine.

Once you install the shim kit to receive a fine enough grind for espresso, are the coarse settings on the machine now not coarse enough for french press and vacuum pots?

Jay_Raz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Alright, scratch all the questions regarding the Breville. It looks like I just jumped my price range up and looking now into the Baratza line. Found some really great reviews comparing all the models in their line. For what I want, seems like I'm going to have to be willing to pay more for it *which I'm fine with*.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Talking to yourself is the second sing of impending metal breakdown... ;-)
For the money, the Baratza grinders are very nice indeed. For espresso I always recommend a stepless grinder. The Vario is close enough to count in that manner.
And IMO, for $199, unless you want a hand grinder, there are no decent grinders in that price range to serve the needs of an espresso machine.
BUT.. If you don't mind hand grinding, go over to orphan espresso and check out their hand grinder with huge conical burrs:
OE PHAROS Hand Coffee Grinder

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Actually Randy it depends on the espresso machine in question. If pressurized baskets/portafilters are being used a cheaper grinder can be used with decent results. Baratza is cutting edge right now, but they incorporate way too much plastic IMO. Burr carriers should not be plastic regardless of price point. FWIW, their new Preciso is said to be as good or even better than the Vario for most grinding situations.

Regarding Orphan Espresso, they also have/had some great hand mills for less than $100, but most hand mills won't do coarse to fine with great results.

The Pharos looks great in design, but needs some fine tuning to be more practical.

Jay_Raz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't have time till later to fully research the hand grinders, so I'll pop out a few questions. Which I can possibly answer later as per my impending mental breakdown.

How well do the hand grinders work, and how does the grind compare to higher end grinders?
What price range would I be looking at if I wanted a great quality grind for espresso?

I am open to the possibility of having a hand grinder for espresso and an additional electrical grinder that is more suitable for drip, fp, vacuum.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The older hand mills are much better built and have higher quality tool steel burrs. I know the current trend is toward ceramic burrs, but the rest of the grinder seems to be built rather cheaply.

I use a 50+ year old KyM hand mill and the grind quality is superb, easily on par with any commercial espresso specific grinder I've had the pleasure of using/seeing in action. This list includes a Nuova Simonelli MDX, a Mazzer Super Jolly and a Mahlkonig K30. The KyM works flawlessly with my Cremina lever.

As with anything, not all hand grinders are created equally and this is where buying a refurbished one from Orphan Espresso comes into play.

For a low cost approach, buying an espresso specific hand mill and a cheaper electric burr mill such as the Capresso Infinity, Baratza Maestro, etc. would work fine.

Jay_Raz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just to leave some closure for the thread. I just purchased a Refurbished Baratza Vario. Was trying for some second-hand commercial equipment but kept getting outbid on ebay or had to deal with dopes off of craigslist.

BigDRigsby

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Vario offers good grind quality and versatility according to most, but I question all the plastic used in it. I want something that will hold up for years and I wouldn't spend that much on a paperweight. It's a good thing Baratza offers such great customer service because when you buy one of their products, it's not a matter of IF it will give out on you, but WHEN.

BigDRigsby

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
A good used espresso specific grinder can be had for as low as $200 if you know what/where to look for. Most just need a good cleaning and new burrs.

riposa

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Talking to himself?

Perhaps he was councling with his own will? Talking out-loud, so people do this all the time, not a sign of anything and that is "sign", not "sing".

Got a migrane this morning, so stay clear of me, or I'll pull out both barrels. However, I am also looking for a good all purpose grinder for both pressed and drip. I added a Dutch Mochamaster Techno, yeah that one, to my collection. Now I got the one touch Gaggia and the drip maker.

What grinder do you recommend for both, good compromise?

Also I get my Columbia beans from Mocha Joes. I like the lighter beans, not the darker ones. Also besides Mocha Joes having good tasting coffee from these beans, they are also non oily, which is good for the Gaggia. It's a no-no to use oily beans, might negate the warranty. Whole Latte Love says DON'T do it! Ok, so that's cool with me.

Give me some great beans online anyone? Anyone?

Thanks,
Bruce

ps-Yes cranky today, someone stole five cases of oil out of my garage. So make me happy again!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Perhaps he was councling with his own will? Talking out-loud, so people do this all the time, not a sign of anything and that is "sign", not "sing".

Got a migrane this morning, so stay clear of me, or I'll pull out both barrels. However, I am also looking for a good all purpose grinder for both pressed and drip. I added a Dutch Mochamaster Techno, yeah that one, to my collection. Now I got the one touch Gaggia and the drip maker.

What grinder do you recommend for both, good compromise?

Also I get my Columbia beans from Mocha Joes. I like the lighter beans, not the darker ones. Also besides Mocha Joes having good tasting coffee from these beans, they are also non oily, which is good for the Gaggia. It's a no-no to use oily beans, might negate the warranty. Whole Latte Love says DON'T do it! Ok, so that's cool with me.

Give me some great beans online anyone? Anyone?

Thanks,
Bruce

ps-Yes cranky today, someone stole five cases of oil out of my garage. So make me happy again!

Stay clear or you'll pull out both barrels? Wish I was your neighbor because at the end of the day you'd be crying and ready to move! Oily beans are usually caused by being roasted to darker levels or being stale. I wouldn't pay any mind to WLL on voiding a warranty as they don't seem to know alot about anything IMO and they're just covering their butts anyway. If proper care/maintenance is observed no damage will occur in any grinder due to oils.

There are lots of great coffees to be had. Online offers tons of possibilities. I suggest trying to find a roaster local to you just to see what's out there and supporting local is a good thing as well. Also, what you choose depends on your likes and brew method(s).

For the stolen oil.... lock your garage!