need help with choosing a one touch-super duper automatic cappuccino machin

helli3yte

May 16, 2011
Visit site
i hope that my fellow coffee lovers have some insight as to the best bang for your buck super auto cappuccino machine. im looking for quality and no hassle machine. any help would be greatly appreciated to point me in the right direction. thanks .

p.s. this is for home use

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Unknown as far as warranty... I wouldn't own one. I am admittedly a coffee geek and have no problem facing the challenges nor taking the time to make espresso. I do understand that it is not for everyone though.

Most credit cards will extend the warranty up to an additional year, so that is an option for that. With ANY superauto, I would find out where the nearest authorized service center is located! Shipping one back for service can be costly, and if damaged in transit the odds are that the shipping insurance will not cover damage unless you double-box the machine using something like 2" of additional foam protection.

I always ask - what is your priority? Does it have to be espresso? Is it the time it takes? The hassle? There are easy ways to make great coffee that cost less than a super auto.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
By the time you mess around with all that stuff your have realized that it makes a far better shot then a Jura will give you. The number one complaint I get is the espresso is always weak and has a major lack of color. You can't adjust the grind more then the settings they give you and it just doesn't seem to be enough to do any good.

mpacker99

May 20, 2011
Visit site
If you have a Sur La Table near you ... buy it from them. They have lifetime warranty on all of their machines (and they do sell some of the Jura's there). I just bought my first espresso maker from them and only decided to buy it from them based on their lifetime warranty. it seems every manufacturer out there has some problems so this way i don't have to worry about it :)

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Go to YouTube and check out the Seattle Coffee Gear page HERE
On their page, use the search window and take a look at some of teh SUpreAUto reviews.
In one video (I forget which) they compared the Jura to two other brands. The espresso out of the Jura looked good (can't comment on taste). The others looked worse than the worst shots I have ever pulled.

Yes, good supers are expensive. But look at it this way. A decent, entry-level espresso grinder sells for about $250, and that is for bottom line stuff. Think about the quality of a superauto that is an espresso machine, a grinder, and all the complications to make it work automatically all in one box for $400. All it will be is an expensive kitchen paperweight that makes bad espresso.

There are easy ways to make really good coffee. Maybe about the best you have ever had, and it can cost less than $200, and about the most difficult thing about it is boiling water. So as I asked before, would you rater have a bad cup of espresso at the push of a button, or can you grind two measures of coffee, dump the coffee into a chamber, and wait three or four minutes to pour a great cup of coffee?

helli3yte

May 16, 2011
Visit site
but you cant say that the $2300 jura S9 makes crappy coffee because it doesn't. i have done research on it. what most people complain about is the temperature of the milk/froth when done automatically as they say its about 120 degrees. correct me if im wrong but boiling water is a 100 degrees and thats hot as hell. so what gives. it's fussy people that irritate me. "oh it doesn't do this, its a little bit cooler than that froth, blah blah" shut up and drink your coffee boy. lol.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
but you cant say that the $2300 jura S9 makes crappy coffee because it doesn't. i have done research on it. what most people complain about is the temperature of the milk/froth when done automatically as they say its about 120 degrees. correct me if im wrong but boiling water is a 100 degrees and thats hot as hell. so what gives. it's fussy people that irritate me. "oh it doesn't do this, its a little bit cooler than that froth, blah blah" shut up and drink your coffee boy. lol.

Of course I can! It doesn't make crappy coffee it makes down right shi*** coffee. Price doesn't dictate the quality of coffee. No matter how much research your have done or reviews you have read your not going to be able to come up with a conclusion until you can use one period. I've used one. I've used several as I've worked on more then my fair share. I haven't found a single super Jura that has made a single shot that can come close to producing a shot with the same quality that can be found in a manual machine.

To top that insult off you could spend the same $2300 purchasing used commercial equipment from ebay that would make a better shot then that S9 could dream of. Now for the real kicker don't believe everything you read and see on the internet. There are more reviews out there that are biased because they are reporting exactly what the manufacture wants. As for personal reviews I've read more then my fair share where you know someone from the factory had to be posting it because it was a rave review with absolutely no negative thoughts what so ever.

The point is go try one first or get one where you have a 30 day return policy. But until then quit trying to justify your conclusion with research. All the research in the world still hasn't found a way to cheat death. Sorry Harry!

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Everything is, indeed, relative, no?
I can use less than $200 worth of equipment and make a better cup of coffee that that Jura - A refurb Baratza (about $85) or a hand grinder (about $100) and an Espro Press ($75).
So would I pay the extra $2150 for the convenience of pushing a button for mediocre espresso? No way! Why should I? My Vibiemme Double Domo ships this week! :coffee:
To reiterate.. Everything is, indeed, relative.

PeterCoffee

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I use a seaco Vienna Deluxe. It is relatively cheap and will produce excellent espresso if you use freshly roasted well blended espresso. It does not steam well at all. I use it because it is quick in the am
when I am in a rush. there used to be a machine called the krups Novo. This was a small pump driven machine that made excellent espresso coffee but again the steamer was just a add on. but many of my customers used it because all they wanted was espresso. Smoke ciggys and drink espresso. Any way the vienna delux has taken its place. you can adjust the grind and the lenght of the shot. The pump has sufficent power as long as the coffee still has a grain to it. If you grind it to pigment forget it.The jura's mare overkill for you. they are mean for a small office or someplace like that.

Last edited: