New grinder concerns

ToneDeath

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For the last 5 years I've been using a Keurig single cup system.
I'm very pleased with the results using the K cups, My K cup, and soon to try the My-Cap snap lids for the used K cups. I've tried other means of brewing including the French Press and I think I'll stick with the Keurig. I've been grinding the Star Bucks Breakfast Blend, Dunkin Donuts original roast with my Mr Coffee blade grinder. I have recently found a local roaster (Red Cedar Coffee) in Berea Ohio with some great blends, in particular one called Pirates Brew it's a blend of cinnamon, pecan, rum on the dark oily side. I'm looking to upgrade my grinder and thought the Baratza Virtuoso would work well for my needs and budget, a removable hopper and easy cleaning is important as I grind a variety of coffees. My concern is the bad stuff I hear about the grinder like:*For regular, unflavored coffee, it's great. And*Will NOT grind dark, oily beans for more than 8-10 seconds. Will someone give me some input on this grinder and my concerns?

TD

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I am going to make a HUGE assumption here. I hope that you are here because the quality and taste of the coffee is more important then the convenience. based on that, best advice for the best coffee:
- Get good coffee (none of the ones you mentioned are, IMO). Fresh-roasted, not oily, not flavored, unadulterated coffee.
- If you like flavored coffee, get some quality flavoring syrups made from FOOD and not from petroleum distillates and who-knows-what.
- Forget the French Press and get a Espro Press. My review of it is linked on the Espro website page for the press. It looks simple, seems expensive, but it makes the best cup of coffee you probably ever tasted IF fed good quality, fresh beans.
- if you do those things, the Baratza grinder will work fine. Check the Baratza website for refurbs which carry a new warranty.

I do not work for any of the above companies nor sell anything.