Steam Wand Question

grant862

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a Saeco Sirena machine and I am looking to get some better microfoam than what is possible with the pannarello. I am either going to swap out the wand for a Silvia V1 steam wand (i'll loose the ball joint and wont be able to move the wand around like i currently can) or attach the gaggia latte pannarello art wand (not as aesthetic looking as a Silvia wand) to my existing wand on my machine.

Any comments on which one will be a better performer? Thanks

SecondCupGirl

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
most if not all cafe's use steam wands on their barista. if you want your drink to taste as close as it can to what you would buy at a second cup or starbucks, you are better off with the steam wand. TIP: Hold the wand right at the surface of your milk and turn it on only half way, you will want a thermometer as well, once the milk hits between 80-100 degrees C, and then put the wand in the 2 o'clock position about 5 centimetres below the milks surface and turn the wand up all the way, then wait until it gets up to 160 degrees then turn the machine off. Hold back foam when pouring then release foam about an inch from the top of your drink.

Darthespresso

Aug 12, 2011
Big Apple
Visit site
Micro foam is not obtained by watching a thermometer. The relative temp of steamed milk is different for each drink. Its really a skill you develop by repetition. Steam wands aside, you are best understanding that the micro foam is textured by moving the milk around in the jug while the wand is at least 2 inches inserted into the milk. Looking for the glassy finish that appears on the surface of the milk. You have arrived at micro foam.
My advice is to remove the thermometer and use your hand for temperatures, and tune yourself into the sounds of the process and also the tell tale signs of the milk coming to readiness. If you are pouring latte's with hearts, rosettas etc... be sure to time your shots to have milk and espresso finish at the same time to get the best result in the cup.
N.B> the use of the thermometer in Americanized espresso drinks was a result of a lawsuit = > see here Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants on Wikipedia