Newbie, need a new home coffee pot/maker/brewer

jaystekan

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
SO I am a longtime coffee fiend, newbie here on the board. For the last year or so, I have been using a Keurig pod machine, with my own home-ground coffee in a refillable pod. Well the Keurig finally gave out on me. Unfortunately right now, I am using a Mr. Coffee 4-cup drip machine that has a short in it somewhere. I get zapped everytime I press the brew button, but it was what I had in the garage.

Anyway, time to buy a new coffee maker. The wife and I are the coffee drinkers in the house. I drink about 3 cups throught the day and the wife drinks 2. I am tired of filling the small pod for every cup of coffee in the Keurig, that gets tiresome doing it five times a day, so I dont want a new Keurig. I love technology, but I think I am looking for a simpler way to make coffee. In my coffee years, I have used a drip machine(decent but not great), Aeropress, French Press, Percolator and finally the Keurig. I use a hand burr grinder for my beans.

I am thinking about a Vintage Pyrex Flameware glass stovetop percolator, or maybe a Yama siphon/vacuum stovetop unit. The Zojirushi Zutto 5-cup drip also caught my interest(I like the idea of a drip cone machine). Or possible a simple cheap Melitta manual drip(I heard they make decent coffee).

So, for a nice homemade coffee for the wife and I, what would people suggest? Preferably under $100.00. I don't mind a bit of work for a decent cup.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

JJohnson0731

Aug 10, 2011
New Jersey
Visit site
jaystekan,

I am sorry to hear that your Keurig died. I personally am a fan of it and enjoy its convenience. I hope you find what you are looking for and I will definitely let you know if I find something promising. It seems as though you have done your homework already. I see that you are new to coffee forum and so I would like to welcome you and I hope that you meet a lot of wonderful people as well as share many great thoughts and ideas.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
The syphon brewer would be a good choice although I prefer the tabletop models with a good butane burner over stovetop versions. You might also consider one of the many manual manual pourover versions on the market.

ceegee

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my old faithful espresso stove top maker for years (and years) I love it, always get a great coffee. Maybe worth considering. They are not expensive either.

CoffeeJive

Jul 6, 2011
The Coffee Bar
Visit site
Howdy! While I, myself, have been interested in branching out, sometimes the simple stuff, can be the good stuff. I recently was introduced to this! Clever Coffee Dripper w/ Lid - Pour-Over - Brewers

The clever coffee dripper combines the elements of a french press and drip machine in a simple, handy to use device. While I am still contemplating buying it, it seems to really pique my interest and the philosophy behind it is very intriguing. Thoughts?

IanM

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey, so no idea if you ended up buying anything yet, but if you are willing to spend $100, I would suggest the Zojirushi Coffee Maker. This is a review I found for the Zojirushi Fresh Brew EC-BD15. It is a little more expensive than the Zutto, but falls under that $100 limit if you shop well. This model has been outstanding for me so far. I bought it about six months ago and the quality of coffee is very good and it is very easy to use. It doesn't have its own built in grinder, but you said you use the burr grinder anyway. It is automatic drip and has a thermal stainless steel carafe (No hot plate :)) so your coffee stays very hot for hours (generally a good 2-3). It is worth checking out and based on other reviews that I have seen, most people would agree. For the price, it is hard to find a better coffee maker. Best of luck.

AeroPressCanada

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Go with the AeroPress!

I would stick with the AeroPress myself! I use it every day. Great for sampling varietals and other coffees with delicate flavour profiles. Might want to also check out the Camano Hand Burr grinder.

Neil M.
AeroPressCanada

BlueMountain

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Aurinor probably need to taste The Jamaican bluemountain coffee.... The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavour and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world.... Preparation will never be a initial concern... Coffee that will render you speech less :coffee::decaf:

Latest posts